New Impala

Is there ANYONE out there, other than GM management, that thinks the new Impala looks better than the old one? The old one at least had some unique character to its styling and looked like nothing else.

Is there ANYONE out there who thinks it is a car that one could take the badges off of and have it be recognizable as an Impala...or anything else other than some generic Korean/Japanese model (before they learned how to put some style in their cars)?

Come on, GM, get with it before no one buys your cars.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

It's not that bad. It's just a 1998 Lumina with new badges and a new motor :)

Reply to
Brad Clarke

You mean the wimpala?

Reply to
Roy

Apparently GM's new solution to losing more market share to Asian auto makers is to make their cars look like Japboxes.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

06 Impala's look like the older Pontiac Grand Prix (2000-2003) except bigger and v8 engine
Reply to
Matthew

06 Impala's rear end look like Chrysler 300C's from a few years ago.
Reply to
Paradox

No kidding. I am becoming more skeptical of the Bob Lutz miracle buzz by the day!

John

Reply to
John Horner

John Horner wrote in news:j9RUe.1955$R9.817@trnddc02:

What's so frustrating is that GM used to be easily the best stylists in the business. Sure, their cars rode soft, didn't handle, had hard-plastic, el- cheapo interiors and ancient engines --- but they consistantly pumped out very attractive cars.

The G6 is a looker (in person). The Buicks are beautiful. But, somehow, the Chevy designers all took a "generic" class. Really, there's a humorous film in here somewhere with an Impala or Cobalt in all white having a UPC label on it's hood to represent "generic" styling.

The outside style lets the entire car down, because GM is doing a good job with their interiors and driving dynamics. J

Reply to
Jon Patrick

You're all smokin' crack, right? The nicest thing you can say about EITHER Impala is they don't look like any other current Chevy products.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I was following an old lady driving an 06 Impala LT on I -80 in Iowa recently - she was doing about 84 mph in it.

I was far enough back where I didn't know what it was. Even though I had seen the 06 at the Chicago Auto Show and seen pictures of it.

I started to speed up to catch up to the car wondering what kind of Honda that was in front of me----------then I see it--- a gold bowtie.

Uh oh that ain't a Honda its Impala !

I didn't think to much of the 00-05 look. The Interior & dash was layed out kind of nice & simple.

I did sit in an 06 about a month ago, but didn't form much of an opinion because some saleman cranked both seat backs way down then disconnected the battery.

I don't care for the chopped off single round tail light in a triangular housing. Put triple tail lights across the backend.

At least a 300 hp V8 is now being offered in the SS. Time will tell how the public reacts to it. I like the idea of the flip & fold rear seat.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 29,172 91 Bonneville LE 304,246
Reply to
Harry Face

I'm not particularly in love with the new design, but it's not the worst thing. I sat in one this summer and I thought the interior was better than my '02 until I touched the dash and it was loose (upper part would move about 1/4" up and down). I guess I won't be trading in mine.

Reply to
gad

GM doesn't seem to get it that people buy boring cars like the Accord or Camry because they are reliable and a good value, not for their styling, or lack of it. If GM had Honda's or Toyota's reputation for quality they could get away with it, but they don't. Chrysler, on the other hand, makes cars with personality that are selling well even though they don't have any better QC than GM.

At least the new Impala doesn't look offensive from any angle, like the Malibu does from the front. Yeech.

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Reply to
Dave