Power steering problem with 89 chev. 6.2L diesel 3500 2WD

I just installed a power steering box but with the engine running the steering is totally stiff like the engine was off. I've removed most of the hydrolic lines and get no oil spraying out when I run the engine. The
pump has oil in it, I accidently over filled it but haven't run it more than a few minutes. What am I doing wrong?
Dumb question, is this a serpentine belt? Could you possibly have the belt running on the wrong side of the pulley?

-
Sounds to me like " air bind " Basicly, the pump is full of air, when compressed, the air prevents fluid flow. Loosen pressure line, to expel air. Slowly turn pump by hand. The other poster may have something with the belt not properly contacting [ spinning ] pump