Purchasing A New Car Procedure Questions, please

Hello:
Haven't purchased a new car in a very long time, but looks like I will be.
Would be grateful for someone to run me through the steps involved regarding
payment(s).
e.g.:
In a dealership, after you agree on a price, and the salesman says they have the car, (somewhere) in the area , and will/can be at their place in a few days for you to pick up:
What's normally done as to procedure:
-you then give him a deposit (only) until the day you actually pick it up ? Then, when picked up, the remainder, if paying the full amount ?
-if so, what percentage, or amount, is typical ?
Thanks, Bob
Most of the time we have a signed contract or the cash in hand before we go and get the unit. We allow the custmer to go with us look ver the unit then they can take it home or if the customer dosent want to go and get it we pick it up make sure there is nothing wrong different and then bring it to our dealership.

regarding
have
up:
?
The procedure will differ according to the policies of the selling dealer, and may even differ according to the vehicle in question. If it is an everyday vehicle, say a Buick Lesabre, that is nothing special, the dealer may require you to do nothing except promise you will take it when they get it. They may ask you to sign some kind of simple agreement to purchase. (Usually not worth the paper it is written on)
If it is a had to get vehicle, say the new Cadillac roadster, they may require all the paperwork and payment to be done in advance before they even go and get the car for you.
Or you could expect anything in between. I wouldn't put up any money for a regular, everyday vehicle. And if they vehicle is close enough for them to sell it to you, unless it is one of the hard to get ones, you should be able to pick it up the next day, two days MAX. Anything more and they must not want to sell any cars!
Jerry H. -- retired GMC sales manager

regarding
have
up: