Purchasing a car from a Dealer...

Am I correct in assuming that a Car dealer has to Warrant a car for 3 months after the invoice date?

I purchased a car 6 weeks ago from a midlands car dealer... And yesterday, a major engine issue became apparent.

I have been told by 2 different people within the trade, that they are legally obliged to provide warrenty on the car for 3 months.

He did tell me that he was providing 3 months warranty on the car, but I called him yesterday and he has not decided that it was one month.

If it was something silly or small, or just wear and tear, I would just get it done myself... But the main bearings have gone... Major engine work. or new engine.

I understand that this huy's gotta make a living, but I've only had the car 6 weeks, and I've spent most of that our of the Country... Have only done about a thousend miles in it. Now the engine is duff.

Car is a Toyota Celica Import. Paid £2000, so it's not like I gave him £100 for a knacker.

The guy is not being arsey or anything at the mo, and says he'll see what he can do, but I am just rather worried, as there is no reference to Warranty on the invoice.

I've not been arsey either, have talked to the guy nicely and tried to sort it out, and hopefully will get it sorted in this manor... But any advice if he decideds to tell me to sod off..?

Any advice?

Thanks Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Under the new laws which have just come out, I believe that faults which show soon after sale are now assumed to have been present at the time of the sale. Try doing some searching, or ask on uk.legal

Reply to
TTT

Yes. Therefore the car was not fit for the purpose for which it was sold, unless the faults were made apparent to the buyer at the time.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Yup. In fact this isn't a new law as it's the same as the Sale of Goods Act from the 70s or 80s which I was told by the RAC to quote when I had a problem with a Citroen garage about 5 years ago.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Agreed, but if the dealer claimed the fault was due to rough driving, failing to top up the oil or something else that could be blamed on the owner, it would be very difficult to prove the dealer should foot the bill. The dealer could also swap the knackered engine for a nearly knackered engine (with 3 months' life in it) and claim to have rectified the fault.

I would certainly encourage the owner to stand firm. If the dealer doesn't play ball, legal advice (perhaps through the local Citizens Advise Bureau) and advice from the local Trading Standards office (link below) should be sought.

dp

Yes agreed, but the car is only 6 weeks from purchase and cost 2k. It shouldn't really need anything doing to it in 6weeks, probably not even topping up the oil.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc