radiator crack?

After noticing a coolant smell near the upper radiator hose area, and taking it in and having a pressure test reveal nothing, the leak got bad enough
that the underside of rubber radiator mount was wet all the time. I took it in today and I'm being told the radiator is cracked and needs replacing (I was hoping, of course, that it was just the draincock O ring). The quoted price is about $520 total US before tax.
I checked the NAPA website and the price I'm being quoted for the radiator from the dealer is actually less than NAPA, and from the shop manual I know it's a pretty involved job, so I'm not too shocked at the cost.
The question, though, is this a common thing to have happen? Are there any particular causes of this kind of failure? Anything I can do to prevent it in the future? Any chance of getting GM to split the cost with me (yeah, right :)?
Car is an 02 Impala LS, about 49K miles.
Unknown as to the cause, but the rad price seems very high, I'd shop around some more, here in NYS I checked one out for 295.00

-

Book time is 2.0 labor, so do the math.

-
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1358041,parttype,2172

Common enough that radiator shops stay in business. Try one of them for a price. It may be repairable rather than just replaceable. They come apart and cores or housings can be replaced rather than the entire assembly.
Try www.radiatorbarn.com they have one radiator with 5/8" core for $179.19 with free shipping. The one with 1" core is $239.57 with free shipping. A little time under the shadetree and a couple gallons of anti-freeze and you get by for half price of the dealer.

-
If you are going to do it yourself make sure you give all fittings a good spray with some good penetrating solution. From experiance the tranny lines can be a bitch.

Thanks for all the replies. I just had the shop do it.
Question remains, though: Is there a known cause of this kind of thing, or just time + bad luck?
I would think personally at that low mileage it was probably a bad bead that was laid down by a bad robot welder in the factory if indeed it wasn't caused by foreign object flying through your grill and punturing the core etc.

gad wrote:

Check the motor mounts for excessive movement. Engine movement pulls on the hoses and flexes the radiator.

A similar thread cropped up not too long ago. As others mentioned, it might just be a defective radiator that finally failed, and the tip on movement of the engine is also something to check on.
I seemed to remember that that was another issue about mounting the radiator itself that sometimes causes failures in these radiators. Maybe someone here remembers the details.