Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Page 1 of 5
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId 4091
I agree that the Accord is still the gold standard, hard to beat in the midsize group. The new GM Hydramatic 6T/6L series is a very good
transmission, but Malibu's ergonomics need a few iterations, like the way of Cadillac CTS. I wouldn't get the old 4-speed and certainly didn't care for the low slanting windshield. Sure, Camry sells more because it's always been the cheapest in this group. It's adequate but you also get what you paid for. I guess Toyota doesn't build them like they used to.
1st Place: 2008 Honda Accord LX-P 2nd Place: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT 3rd Place: 2007 Toyota Camry LE

Bullshit. Up here Honda is the car for ricers and other Asian gang members. It ride too rough and is too noisy. HELL will freeze over before I buy one. I will keep an eye on the Malibu, though.

Bullshit. Accords aren't. Civics are.

Same dif. A ricer is a ricer is a ricer.

Just like a Corvette is a Chevette.

Both put together, resulting in junk.
Sharx35 wrote:

Rides too rough? You'd hate a real sports car. Most cars seem to pitch and wallow excessively to me.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

4 cyl. Camrys certainly suffered from that, at one time. However, my 6 cyl. 99 Japanese make Camry doesn't pitch and/or wallow. If I WANTED a sports car I would NOT buy any Honda product.

Then what would you buy in the same price range as an equivalent Honda product?
--
Tegger

Hmmm. My Camry is only ten years old so I won't be in the market for at least another SEVEN years. Hypothetically, though, instead of the 99CE 6 cyl. I have, I might go for a new, closer to the top of the line Camry. To me, Honda is overpriced.

You haven't answered the question.
The question was: What "sports car" would you buy that is within the Honda price range, but is not a Honda?
--
Tegger

Simple. I'm long past the mid-life crazies so I would NOT buy a sports car.

Sharx35 wrote:

Some people just buy sports cars because they're typically small and therefore easier to handle in a city; they handle well; they're generally fun to drive.
If I have to spend hours of my day trapped in a rolling box, I might as well enjoy it, rather than making it feel like a chore...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
"Nate Nagel" wrote

..which is why I bought a 2004 Accord with an automatic, because I got sick of years of shifting a 5-speed Civic through a 20-mile roundtrip commute through the city each day. It's given me virtually no trouble. My only complaint is the ride is noisy except on rubberized asphalt.
Howard Lester wrote:

To me a stickshift is not a chore. But my commute typically only goes stop and go for the last mile or two on my way home; it's mostly good other than that. (and these days I'm driving an automatic anyway, not by choice, but because that's what I'm given to drive. But I have only bought four automatic vehicles in my life; one of which has been converted to a four speed and one of which I'd collected the parts to convert it to a three speed before I sold it. The others were a '67 Dart that was a rolling disaster and my F-150 which I don't drive enough to worry about.)
It sounds like the noise you complain of is mostly tire noise, yes? Might be able to get some better tires and make that go away. Some tread patterns are just simply more noisy than others.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
"Nate Nagel" wrote

I got Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds with the hopes of cutting the noise down vs. the OEM Michelins. I don't detect any improvement. Road noise has been a perennial complaint with Accords, at least, per Consumer Reports.

Nate, I wasn't dissing sports cars for others--when I was younger I had some sportier vehicles such as a 74 Dodge Challenger Rallye and a 65 Plymouth Barracuda. But, that was then, this is now. Now, I like a smoother ride, less road noise etc etc. I drool at vehicles like the Aston Martin line, for example.

Who would want to driver around in an 17 year old car? 10 years is past old enough.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Me, for instance. My car is 18 years old. Bought it new, too.
Just don't ask your question of anybody in the "collector" auto circle. To them, anything under 50 years-old is "modern", and they will sneer at you aggressively for your impertinence.
--
Tegger

I'd call it something else, like a complete lack of values...no wonder the world is in a recession.