Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Page 2 of 5
Tegger wrote:

To me, 1968 was the cutoff year. After that the guv'ment got way too involved..
JT

Yeah, I recall in the 72 Dodge Darts, as soon as my dad got rid of the charcoal canister--no more stalling and stumbling problems.

Antiques and Classics are a whole different story. A 17 year old Honda or Toyota is not either one of those. It's just a 17 year old car.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

But then there are the 1st and 2nd generation Civics of which two are notable...
1983 Civic 1500 "S" which was the forerunner of the early CRX
and
1982-83 1300 Civic FE which was the forerunner of the early CRX(s) that got great fuel economy.... 40+ MPG City and 55 MPG Highway in actual real world tests..
JT

Take your Honda shit to the Honda newsgroup, PLEASE.
Sharx35 wrote:

Ahhhh, I see you reveal yourself for what you are... Uneducated, intolerant and just a general doofus!
Congratulations!
JT

Suck dick, cumwad. I don't go to a Toyota newsgroup to read about ricer junk aka Honda products.

Sharx35 wrote:

You do realize that he's probably posting from r.a.m.honda, yes? Or are you really that refreshingly clue-free?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't give a FUCK where this is cross-posted too--YOU can fuck off back to the DNA cesspool, too, from whence you came.

....exclaimed he, without a single clip. But anyway, "from whence" is incorrect..."whence" already includes the "from".

Oh? That is open to debate and I quote:
Q] From Marty Robinson: Last week you quoted Sir Christopher Wren as referring to 'The Ailes, from whence arise Bows or Flying Buttresses to the Walls of the Navis.' I'm sorry to learn that Sir Christopher used the redundancy from whence.
[A] This is another of those grammatical shibboleths, like avoiding a plural verb with none or not splitting one's infinitives, that are open to linguistic debate, to put it mildly. The argument against this form is that whence already includes the idea of coming from some place, so that including from makes it tautological.
The debate is complicated by the fact that whence is not that common a word these days, being rather literary; I had trouble finding a modern example that wasn't prefixed by from. This is from Newsday of 11 November 2004: "He is a legendary figure in his native England, whence I have just returned." That's a good example of the "proper" use.
Objectors to from whence have support in logic, but logic doesn't feature much in English constructions, especially idioms, which is how one perhaps should regard the phrase these days. One newspaper archive I consulted, hardly comprehensive, contained more than 250 cases of from whence just in 2004. It succeeds because it is informal and colloquial compared with whence used alone, a construction that is unusual enough to force readers to stop and work out the meaning.
And even a brief look at historical sources shows that from whence has been common since the thirteenth century. It has been used by Shakespeare, Defoe (in the opening of Robinson Crusoe: "He got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterwards at York; from whence he had married my mother"), Smollett, Dickens (in A Christmas Carol: "He began to think that the source and secret of this ghostly light might be in the adjoining room, from whence, on further tracing it, it seemed to shine"), Dryden, Gibbon, Twain (in Innocents Abroad: "He traveled all around, till at last he came to the place from whence he started"), and Trollope, and it appears 27 times in the King James Bible (including Psalm 121: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help").
Though Dr Johnson objected to it in his Dictionary of 1755, calling it "A vicious mode of speech" (he meant it was reprehensible, not depraved or savage), most objections to it are no earlier than the twentieth century. One reason may be that its critics are unaware of its long pedigree.
World Wide Words is copyright Michael Quinion, 1996-2009. All rights reserved. Contact the author if you want to reproduce this piece, but first see my advice page, which also has notes about linking. Your comments and corrections are welcome
****** BTW, "troglodyte" is a better alias than "cavedweller".

Perhaps, but what would YOU ever do without Google?

Heh, heh. Spend even MORE time on the net, using a lower level of abuse?
Sharx35 wrote:

Are all Toyota owners really "challenged," or have we found ourselves an outlier?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The REST of what became the human race crawled out of the slime--nate's forebears remained.
Sharx35 wrote:

snip
Ho' boy... Just keep on diggin' that hole deeper 'n deeper. Be sure to keep a mirror for reference "from whence" you originated...
JT
Nate Nagel wrote:

Heh heh... Clue free is rampant these day!
BTW, Howz JP doing???
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Still alive and kicking, and buying Avantis against his better judgement :)
I on the other hand have been listening to his advice and passing on all of them...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Yep, good time to bury your money in the back yard and keep at least 90 days of supplies on hand...
JT

You're just winning friends all over the place aren't you? Good thing you're rich, retired, and own that 10 year old piece of junk that you plan on keeping for another 7 years.