Slow shifting in cold weather

My '98 Malibu has been reluctant to upshift when cold. When the outside temperature is in the 20s, I let the car warm up for a couple of minutes, but for the first half mile or so it tends to race instead
of upshifting. Backing off on the accelerator seems to help.
After the first half mile, it shifts normally. I don't recall this happening in past years. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Art Harris
Have you ever had the fluid replaced? Is the fluid low? How many miles? I had a 75 nova that did that while I was in upstate NY for six weeks. The temps were getting down near 0 at night. Letting the car warm up for 15 minutes helped. Never had any other problem with it in 150k miles. Try changing the fluid and let it warm up before driving. Shouldn't be a problem unless you hoarse it and cause damage..

Typically worn front pump, low line pressure. ATF or filter might be a contributing factor.

Every vehicle I've had since the mid '90's has been that way. The puter is programmed to not let it shift past a certain point until the trans oil temp reaches a predetermined value. Just think of it as self-preservation for the tranny.
Dave