trouble shifting when cold

Hello,

I have a 2000 tj 6cyl sport with 55000 miles on it. Since it has gotten cold I am having alot of trouble shifting gears after first starting up. This gets less and less as the engine reaches operating temp, it almost feels as though I am changing without a clutch. Also there is a pretty loud whirring when the gears are engaged and the truck is moving, I am aware of the normal whirring in neutral but had not heard it before while driving. I had the tranny fluid changed about 4 months ago and this problem started about 1 month ago. Any comments are appreciated

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Maybe the garage that changed it used gear oil with too heavy a weight, and now that its colder (assuming your climate), it's just now showing up.

Reply to
JimG

-- msosborn at msosborn dot com

Reply to
Matt Osborn

The NV3550 manual transmission requires a specific type of oil , standard gear oil is not compatible with the transmission. The proper oil is Pennzoil Syncromesh or equivalent. I'm guessing the shop that changed the fluid used standard gear oil.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Hi Matt, I was told that not all 2000 model TJ's had the NV3550... is that correct, and how do you tell?

Reply to
JimG

Wasn't there a Service Bulletin about this problem?

As Matt mentioned I seem to recall the fix was to change the fluid type.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Your Build Sheet might be the best way in this weather, you won't have to crawl underneath in the snow. It will list what all was installed on your Jeep from the factory.

You can get one at no charge from your local Jeep dealership PARTS department or by e-mail (customer assistance) from the Jeep website. You will need the vehicle VIN number

Billy Ray

Billy Ray, I bought the TJ second hand - so I emailed DC for the build sheet. Thanks for the tip! JimG

Reply to
JimG

My guess is you were told wrong. I hope the guy who filled your tranny didn't tell you. Mine was built in October 1999, and it has the NV3550. If you have a 6-cyl (which you do) you have an NV3550.

The 4-cyl had the Aisin AX5.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You also mentioned the "whirring" in neutral, this is a common thing with

3550's, mine has done it since new.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have a 2004 TJ Sahara and it whirls too it appears all the NV-3550 do it even in my 98 RAM just not as loud. It must be a whirling thing.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No Bill, your assumptions are incorrect, as usual.

Reply to
Matthew Macchiarolo

Nope not yet, This past summer I needed a new clutch on the RAM with 190K on the NV-3550. While I had the tranny down I gave it the once over, replaced front and rear seals, split the case open, visually check the synchros and gears all was well and there was very little metal filings on the magnet. Admittedly there were some NV-3550s that did have issues especially with the synchros breaking and it was not the design but poor manufacturing of the gears. For a while Ford was using plastic (composite) gears in all of their transmissions, no metal on the magnets just complete failure especially in their automatics.

Coasty

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
philthy

Just a guess here, but it sounds to me like they used the wrong oil in the trans. You didn't say, but I assume you have a 5-spd. If the oil is too heavy, then it will shift poorly while cold.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The OP mentioned "trouble shifting gears" and "changing without a clutch". With those comments and the vehicle being a 2000 Sport.... no assumption required.

Reply to
JimG

Yeah, I read that once before I replied, then forgot. I glanced at the "shifting gears" part and thought, "gee, automatics shift gears."

Reply to
Jeff Strickland