Steering column question. SPECIAL TOOL?????????

I have an 88 Lesabre with the well-known loosening of the 4 screws within the steering/tilt assembly. I have gutted it down as far as I know how/can!!! and can't get the upper main housing off nor the lock
cylinder out. I have had MANY comments on this and thre are a multitude of posts on this. However it seems that the upper housing is pressed and sealed together to fuse two pieces into one and I cannot get into it further. Large metal slug like a wheel weight at the top if this means anything to you.
Now i hear that thre is a SPECIAL TOOL according to someone local that fixes steering columns as a mobile service. Any truth? Still looking for the definitive answer to get this beast the rest of the way apart and fix the screws and wiring affected by the "flopping" wheel. You may email privately if you feel this is redundant. thanks in advance. kevin
I cheated.....I took out the top two screws that I could reach, hit them with locktite, tightend them back and never had the problem again.
Eightupman

Yeah, but i can't seem to see screw heads...I'll look again. Been sitting for a while...THX.
Kevin
Eightupman wrote:

I used a "U" shaped piece of flat steel with a hole in it to fit over the threaded shaft. (about 4" long and 2" high when bent.) The steering nut is then tightened over the steel and it presses the spring far enough down to release the snap ring. Then that part will come up out of the way and the two top torx screws should be nearly visible.
John

Guys, I CANNOT see the screw heads. I can't get separated down that far. I have separation lower and can see two of the ends waggling out in the air at me...but the heads? Nuh-uh. Can't get there from here. I swear this is weird. Email if you want pics.
Kevin
Eightupman wrote:

"FunkyKev" wrote

I don't want to email you for pics. Why don't you do the work, throw the pics up on the web somewhere, and then provide us links. I'll be happy to have a look and give advice if I can.
Ian
Smart alec. I'll see what I can do...
Kevin