Tar Removal test

After washing my 1 year old pickup, I was dismayed at the amount of fresh tar splattered the length of the driver's side. No big chunks but just a whole lot of small splashes. Funny, I don't remember driving through any fresh tar, but at my age, there are lots of things I don't remember doing.

A quick search of the internet turned up several suggestions and a host of commercial products. Armed with laundry pre-wash, dish detergent, a commercial bug & tar remover, and a half jar of creamy peanut butter, I set to work.

The easy hands down winner was the creamy style peanut butter. Went on like wax and removed all the tar easily with just a little buffing, plus my truck smell made me hungry. The laundry presoak and dish detergent were probably runners up. The commercial product would be my last choice.

Jim

-------------------------------------------- Save your job. Layoff Bush.

George Jetson

I've found that WD-40 works best.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

I have a black car - What tar spots?

Mineral Spirits works for me.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,040 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

The best thing to use is Zippo Brand Lighter fluid. Soak a rag with it, leightly rub only the tar spotted area's. Then after tar is removed, spray with Windex (brand name only), Dry then rinse with water.

Ya'll want to talk about tar spots? Ha, try driving an all white Dump Truck doing Asphalt work and having to clean it every other day. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

So far we have 3 winners:

  1. Peanut butter
  2. Mineral Spirits
  3. Naptha (that's what Zippo lighter fluid is)

I'm assuming that all of these work because their oily properties penetrate the tar and enable it to be loosened and cleaned off. Okay great. Now for the next question. Are they safe for the finish? Clear coat safe? I imagine the peanut butter is safe but how safe are chemicals like mineral spirits or naptha?

I realize you guys have actually used these, but could you tell if a bit of the clear coat came off if the paint didn't get messed with? I would really like to use something effective but am afraid of hurting the finish. I tried some commercial "bug and tar remover" and it didn't work all that great. So I'm almost ready to jump in but need to hear it's all gonna' be okay.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I had read where peanut butter was good at taking wax off of the plastic/rubber trim as well. Never tried it though.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The reason I say to spray the area with windex as soon as your done is, it can harm the finsh. Used sparingly, and cleaned off afterwards all three should not harm the finsh. Bug & Tar remover I have had little luck with. Wax & Grease remover works much better then that stuff.

Most methiods of tar removial will remove wax from the area they are applied to as well.

The Dump Truck I cleaned with lighter fluid was a 1999 GMC C-6500. So atleast the Cab, and front end should have been base/clear paint. I beleave the bed was painted with equpiment enamial, as in some light you could see a color differance. I never noticed any clear coat damage, yet I sprayed the area down and cleaned it off real well. I would do all of this before going to the truck wash. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I would hesitate to recommend using anything flammable on the internet lest someone decides to use it with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. I certainly would not recommend using them indoors. Back out of the garage into the drive at least. Even then I would not just because of the flammability concerns, disposal of soaked rags etc.

Jim

------------------------------------------ Save your job. Layoff Bush and Cheney.

"SgtSilicon"

Reply to
George Jetson

I wouldn't use anything flammable on the Internet either...too many flames! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I use flamible chemicals all the time in my shop. I even am known to use some while smoking. I aint ever blown up yet. Charles What ever happened to the days when you could smoke while pumping gas with out some idiot freaking out?

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles, if you smoke while pumping gas then you are the idiot. I can't comment on the shop scenario because that really all depends. I'm not someone who's afraid of flammable chemicals being used inside the shop or even smoking in there depending on the chemicals, the quantity, the ventilation and the proximity to ignition sources. But I do know gasoline and the vapors which exist around it. Smoking while pumping is more of a risk than I think people should take, especially when there is nothing to be gained by taking that risk. It also risks the safety and property of others (assuming you don't have your own pump).

In short, risk your own self and property but not that of others. I'm one of those people who doesn't let others smoke around the pumps near me, so I guess you called me the idiot 1st.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I don't actually smoke when pumping gas. I got lectured before by someone because I got out of a car with a light cigarette that was at a fuel island. I wasn't pumping gas, or anything. Just an example of how people react to smokers. Heck I won't answer or use my cell phone when pumping gas.

Now on the other hand I have had a cigarette while my electric fuel pump was transfer fuel from one tank to another, but Im atleast 10 feet away. The electric fuel pump is the stanard parts store frame mount small carb model. takes it about an hour to pump a tank out. At times it makes in-tank fuel pump replacement much safer. As Im not trying to catch 13 to 25 gallion tank that's full. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I guess gasoline is something to take seriously, or at least somewhat seriously.