Toyota my take

The Toyota gas petal fiasco My Take

The new media overacted Toyota stonewalled Government found a way to look good People found ways to fix the problem without knowing what the problem is. Toyota didn't react when NHTSA went to Japan in December and asked for them to do something.

There are safety recalls on many products every day, all auto company have had bad recalls and they have all come out of it pretty good. I think the NHTSA call for people to take their cars back to Toyota and park them until they are fixed is beyond the pale. That's just our gov. showing how much power they have right or wrong. I think I could handle acceleration, I would be more afraid of the braking problem with Prius's

Today's top 5 or 6 auto companies are probably within a percent of each other in quality, some better in areas some in another. There are many American and Canadian jobs at risk in the and I don't want anyone to fail I do want all companies to have a fair shake in the fight but thanks to our political environment and the bias with the news media and who is spending the most money it wont happen.

All that being said I think Toyota has been praised as having best quality, yet if you see all the problems with sludged engines, rusted frames shows they are not any better than anyone else.

I only have knowledge directly of two toyotas, a corolla and a Chev made in NUMMI, my sons Chev.ran for

5 years with no problems, my sister in laws has had numerous problem all small but annoying, push buttons etc.
Reply to
Tom

According to todays Tribune Newspapers, the Chairman of the House Oversight Committee is stating Toyota will be asked about runaways problems with the Tacoma truck.

The NHTSA has received over 100 complaints about sudden uncontrolled accelerations problem on the Tacoma, their truck that does NOT use the same pedal assembly as the other recalled Toyotas.

The article also refers to Japans Transport Ministry releasing that their have been numerous complaints about "braking problems" with NEW generation Prius. Toyota admits they are addressing braking problems in previous Prius models but they are "unaware" of problems in the NEW generation Prius.

The ever growing issue over sudden uncontrolled acceleration in most every type of Toyota vehicle is having a sensitizing effect on consumers around the world and Toyotas confusing responses are not helping the situation. Curious ah?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh this morning, and he said something similar - It sounded like he was trying to suggest that the Obama-owned GM used a thug mentality to try to sabotage Toyota by at least making them look bad because they compete with American brands. However, if that's true, then why don't they also go after other import brands, such as Honda, Volkswagen, Kia, etc., which are also fairly popular in the US?

You are right that there are safety recalls every day. So why pick on only one company for it?

I don't think there's any strong evidence to draw such conclusions, so I don't understand why such conclusions are made. This kind of conclusion is nothing more than a gov't conspiracy theory, and in my opinion, it doesn't really make any sense to make such accusations. I generally don't buy into conspiracy theories because they are generally unprovable and often don't make much sense.

Reply to
Eric O.

I sense that there will be more information coming out that will put Toyota's management system to the task.

There is beginning to be substance to the speculation that elements within Toyota have tried to sweep some problems under the carpet. It is bad enough to have a significant problem with one of your product, but it is far worse to be caught lying about it.

I still have faith in, and am very satisfied with, my two Toyos, but I would hate to learn that Toyota may have succumbed to the sort of behavior that I have criticised others for so severely.

Reply to
hls

Actually, Toyota is coming clean. GM has a recall on Vibes post bankruptcy but is ignoring previous owners outright.

So which company do you want to deal with, the one coming clean and doing somethign about it or the one hiding and pretending?

And I wonder if the safety people really did their research they would have done both vehicles and looked at others too. But perhaps this was targeted and they messed up.

Reply to
Canuck57

Or maybe it's just you........

Reply to
Dave

Only once they realized that any further ass-dragging would result in disaster. Dragged kicking and screaming is more like it.

At this stage: neither.

Reply to
PeterD