TRANSMISSION

My BUICK is approaching the 50K mark.
The book sez it's time for a transmission fluid change.
My local Cottman transmission place advertises $50.
Question; Do I want this done at my GM dealer ? or at a place that does transmissions only. ( Cottman )
??? <rj>
Any trnasmission shop can do that. Also, regarding warranty requirements, I believe that state and/or federal laws now require auto manufacturers to recognize recommended service carried out by independent shops.
Ed

<RJ> wrote:

Whereever you get it done, make sure that the pan is dropped and the filter replaced. Lots of places use the flushing machines now which is all well and good, but that doesn't replace the filter or clean residue out of the bottom of the pan.
John
"user" wrote:

You could even do it in your driveway if you are so inclined. A dealer is the most expensive place to do it and the last place I would take it.
I agree with drop the pan, clean it, change filter. Synthetic ATF costs more, but pays big dividends, particularly if you live in a hot climate, or tow a trailer