it's clutch time for my 95GT. which one ?

Okay, looks like my throw-out bearing is going bad on my 95GT coupe. (5.0) The things makes weird noises , squeaks, and sometimes when it's
cold outside it is really bad. So while at it, I will replace the entire clutch. There's a garage close by where people can wrench on their cars for 15 bucks an hour, and there's a mechanic walking around who can help and has all the tools if I need something. so, which clutch kit do I get ? I've heard good stories about the king cobra clutch kit. Does this always come with everything I need ? I noticed somewhere that it did not come with the pilot bearing.
Anyone know some place online that has a good deal on it ?
also, The rear main seal is leaking a little bit, how much more work is it to replace this while the trans is off ? I assume I need to drain the oil for it. (as well as tranny oil when I take it out ? or not ?)
thanks in advance. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying
There's a garage

Thats pretty cool and a good idea to boot. Im sure you would get alot of buisness that way.
Shit yeah! I wish we had one of those around here... I'd be paying out the bootie though... for time.. but still that'd be nice for beginners to learn more about their cars & stay relaxed knowing a professional is around... hopefully a professional with Fords ;).
-Mike

yes, the guy has been getting a lot of publicity. He has 4 lifts we can use. Plus, there's 3 big car stores within walking distance that he can order parts at at wholesale price. It's something I've been looking for for a while.
and, yes, I am sure he will let people sign some disclaimer so he won;t be liable in case someone gets crushed under a lift. You can rent tools there too. I've been emailing with him a few times and it seems he really knows what he is talking about.

Man I wish we had one around here... where you at?
-Mike

of

Phoenix Metro.

I thought in this age of lawsuits no such place could even hope to exist.....
Yeah that's a good point... maybe you hafta sign some sort of release form.
-Mike
Rein wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Im sure you would. Or it could all be on the downlow if ya know what im saying =)

Yea, seems that I remember my friends (ones in their 40's) talking about gas stations where you could rent time on the lift. What a lifesaver that would be for some jobs...
$15/hr is right about at that threshold though... Another $20 or so an hour and someone else can do all the hard stuff... depending on the garage... it's almost to the "do I do it myself, take twice as long if I don't know what I'm doing, and end up having to do it again, or just pay the man" point....
JS
We had a garage and were able to do this on base when I was in the Air Force for $6 an hour.
--
Mike King
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

Ah, clutch jobs aren't an issue with me... never done one on a lift and I think it'd be easier. I was just speaking in general terms though... if you're curious but not sure.... is it worth $15 and hour to mess up and have to pay someone else to fix it? Could do that in your garage for free, with a little less comfort.
If you're confident though, by all means, the lift would be worth $15/hr. If it were mine to do, I'd have the interior stuff taken care of and the shifter about ready to jump into my hand before I went there to start the job to save myself lift time.
It really isn't that difficult. If you can borrow the pilot bearing removal tool, and you buy a clutch kit with the alignment tool, you should be good to go as far as special tools. Here in the NE, getting the exhaust apart after being corroded by road salt for years is the hardest part of the job... well, that and getting it back on when you're done. Shouldn't have that problem in Phoenix.
One thing that's always worked for me when trying to get the transmission back in... (mind you, we've always done this on jackstands in the garage)... one guy in the car with a rope on the tailshaft, one under the car lifting the front and lining up the transmission. When you get into the pilot bearing and you only have the approximately 1/4" distance to go (where the bearing retainer fits snugly into the bellhousing hole), have the guy in the car press the clutch in. I've used dead input shafts as alignment tools, as well as using the plastic ones that came with the kits, and either way usually that last 1/4" was a bitch until my buddy suggested stepping on the clutch to allow it to align itself just that tiny bit. Make damn sure that you're into the pilot bearing first though or you could drop and damage the clutch disk.
Hope that helps, and good luck.
JS
wrote:

gas
would
hour

I've been using a King Cobra setup in my 5 liter-powered 2wd Ranger for four years. No problems, but i'm sure it's getting close to the end of it's life. It does come with everything (plate, disc, throwout bearing), but not a pilot. (Most parts stores will stock the pilot bearing). Best place i've found to get the clutch is D + D Performance. (248) 735 - 6220 , http://ddperformance.com /. Only $169 for the clutch kit, $10 for a pilot bearing. When i ordered mine i also got a billet steel flywheel for $200, and everything arrived in 4 days. As far as preformance of the clutch, it depends on the car. My 5 liter is mostly stock, but with better intake, 4bbl. Holley, Headers, mild rebuild, etc. Still a very good clutch, for the $$. And definately replace the rear main while you have it so close. All you need to do is loosen the bearing cap.
Any more ?'s, feel free to ask. Don W
thanks, I found an awesome price for king cobra clutches with pilot bearing on ebay. 155 plus 20 bucks shipping.
thanks for all the help.
On 02 Dec 2003 16:02:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Don Wallish) wrote:

at 01 Dec 2003, Rein [ snipped-for-privacy@NO-SPAMyahoo.com] wrote in
Pony has a SPEC Stafe 1 clutch and I am very happy with it. They have them for GT's as well..
http://specclutch.com/specMain.html
--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)