truck wrecked air bags did not deploy????

How does this happen? My son's 99 chevy p/up hit a light pole almost dead center in the front. No air bag deployment.

.
How fast? How hard? There are times they are not supposed to deploy. Not enough information to say for sure (not that I know all the details anyway)

Father in law's pickup has a switch that cuts the airbag off. And he KEEPS it off. Heard too many scary stories, I guess. Might your son' s have been switched off ?

That switch only turns off the passenger side air bag.
Dave
One must ask the question, was the truck purchased used?
mike

Right down the center is pretty soft, it missed the frame rails and thus wouldnt have decelerated him fast enough to trip the sensor.
I doubt that, it only task one 'G' to trip the safing sensor.
mike

dead
I doubt that. The g-force from a straight on hit is quite high - assuming the hit was at a high enough speed to activate an airbag regardless of sensor location.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net