air bags

Hi,

I was in a small accident, hitting a double-parked car from rear. No passengers were in my car, but still both air bags got deployed. I was expecting just the driver air bag to deploy...

Is this normal?!

Regards,

Reply to
fastguy

My understanding is that there are at least two G force sensors in the front of the car. If they sense enough G's the bags will deploy. Unless, your car also has sensors to detect whether a seat is occupied or not.

A search for "How airbags work"will get you about 3,600,000 results.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

fastguy wrote the following:

I hit a deer with my 97 Nissan PU while doing about 50 mph on Sept.4,

2006 at 10:35 PM. The damage was about $4500 to my front bumper, grill, left fender, radiators, fan, and other internal sheet metal. My driver's side airbag did not deploy. I will say that the impact didn't toss me forward. The collision occurred about 1 mile from my house, so I was able to drive it home. I had detailed the truck that morning. :-( Pics at
willshak

Thanks for answer. The car is a 2003 Nissan Altima and I believe it has sensors (since I get a light on the dashboard if anybody in the front seat doesn't fasten the seatbelt)

Petru

Reply to
fastguy

Is this a malfunction of the airbag system, or it is expected?

Regards, Petru

Reply to
fastguy

It is normal and thus expected (a feature, not a bug).

Don

Reply to
IGot2P