06 Civic EX needs disk pads

Hi,

My 06 Civic EX will need disk pads soon. Front for sure, rear I haven't checked yet.

Do I need to use Honda OEM pads or will others do. Your recommendations and where's the best place to buy them, online or physical.

Is their an online guide for replacing pads.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

I prefer using OEM Pads bought from the dealer. I am sure some will suggest that other pads will provide better stopping power, or longer life and/or cost less.

However, my theory is that the Honda engineers spent a lot of time coming up with pads that provided the best compromise for pad life, rotor life, braking effort, noise, etc. Aftermarket suppliers may or may not do as well. The last time I purchased pads for a Honda from the dealer, the box included everything I needed (pads, shims, some little clips, etc.). You never get this stuff with aftermarket pads or apparently Toyota OEM pads - at least for 2007 RAV4. I was pissed when I all I got from the Toyota dealer was pads, even though the shop manual indicated a bunch of other stuff should be replaced. Even Ford gave me all the little do dads when I bought Ford (NOT Motorcraft) pads at the dealer (if you aren't careful, the Ford dealer won't sell you Ford OE pads, they will sell you the aftermarket Motorcraft pads instead, which are often different!).

I know pads from the dealer will cost significantly more than whatever Autozone is selling, but I think the cost difference is negligible when spread over the thousands of miles the pads should last. There are lots of Honda dealers selling the OE stuff on line, but you might find it useful to go to the local dealer and see what you actually get when you buy the OE pads.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Of course others will do...

That said, I got well over 55,000 miles on my OEM Honda pads on the '06 Accord and when I changed them out there was still some life left. I ordered OEM replacements from

Check around you may find a better price, but as I recall they were pretty decent both for the Accord and, subsequently, when I replaced the pads on the Odyssey.

If you need rotors, you're better off getting them locally from NAPA or whomever. The shipping would kill you for mail order.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:4f465ab7$0$4347$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

rear pads are probably fine,they don't wear as fast as the fronts.

Heh,it's best to change them while there IS "some life left"; you certainly don't want them down to the backing. 8-)

some places have free shiping for orders over a certain dollar amount. Rock Auto,IIRC. I've used them in the past.

If your rotors are not deeply grooved,I'd not replace them. Scuff them up with some SiC paper before you install the new pads. Watch the brake fluid reservoir when you push the caliper pistons back in. You might want to get a brake fluid flush and replace,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

better to open the bleed nipple and /then/ push the pads back. apart from removing any overflow issues, it ensures you're not pushing old fluid back up through the system.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:ji9gfg$9pj$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

VERY good point,and thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hi,

My 06 Civic EX will need disk pads soon. Front for sure, rear I haven't checked yet.

Do I need to use Honda OEM pads or will others do. Your recommendations and where's the best place to buy them, online or physical.

Is their an online guide for replacing pads.

Al Moodie.

Don't be surprised if your rears need replacing before your fronts. Although the Civic is different from my 06 Accord I4 coupe, I found I had to replace my rear brakes at 55k and am still on my original front pads at 92k miles.

Reply to
tww1491