1997 Civic...fix it or dump it.

Hola! I have 97 Civic EX w/ 88,000 miles..need a new clutch and manual transmission. I can get this done for about $1,500..should i do it??

Reply to
mizage

88k??? that's not even vaguely dumpable by honda standards. who's telling you the transmission is dead? what are the symptoms? what's wrong with the clutch? does it slip or is it just not going into gear?

be VERY beware is the person telling you you need to spend so much money is also offering to buy it off you!

Reply to
jim beam

Honda trans are great; IF you need one check a junk yard first. The cost to do a clutch is about 500, so figure that plus the replacement transmission cost, should be under 1000.

Reply to
Steve H

I had two different mechanics tell me I had an issue with the transmission. It makes a horrible noise in 2nd gear b/w 2000-3000 rpms. The clutch, also two independent assessments, has a bad release bearing. Should I just replace the whole clutch or just the release bearing? What should I pay for a used transmission? $500?

Reply to
mizage

They will be ripping the whole thing apart to get at the bearing anyways. Why not try a reputable import trannie shop to see if the trannie can be rebuilt? The 5 speeds are not that complex, 2nd and 3rd gear sets go for about $200-300 each from Honda. Or maybe once they open it they discover its not that serious.

Check the clutch parts for wear, and if there is any, replace those parts. They are not that expensive.

Always use Honda OEM parts.

mizage wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com