1998 Accord Transmission Problem

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr auto 4 cyl, 47,000 miles
This vehicle is recently making noise from the engine compartment area, sounds like the transmission is starting to fail. Inspection from Honda
dealer, technician indicates transmission needs replaced, would not offer further symptomatic interpretation. Vehicle has all scheduled service records and oil changes from dealership. Vehicle is not driven much as evident by mileage and years old.
Have contacted Honda America and did receive case number. Internet is full of transmission problems with same model and subsequent year transmission problems. Has anyone experienced similar problems and able to get resolution through either Honda or legal or otherwise? I am really not interested in a transmission replacement bill of $4000 - $4500 to replace the transmission, less interested in the purchase of a new vehicle as an option to repair the transmission.
Advice and recommendations are requested.
Thanks
if trans is failing it may have to be rebuilt can get that done much cheaper aftermarket than the dealership.depends on where you are ...ASE certified transmission tech...dont buy a new computer for your car repair yours ask me for info snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Hello, I agree with Jim Beam. Take it to a local certified transmission shop and have them take a look at it. Honda wants to make as much money as possible from you so would prefer to replace it with a NEW one. A local transmission shop supervisor might be able to make some adjustments or at least arrange to get a rebuilt transmission or to rebuilt or replace any defective parts. I don't know of any recalls or reports related to your transmission but you could check these two sites: nhtsa.com www.alldata.com
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
My wife insisted we buy a Honda because she wanted a "reliable" car. Ours is a 1998 Accord EX that just recently passed 90K miles. Now we're both stunned that the automatic transmission has failed.

You're gonna blackmail Honda in to paying for your new transmission? LOL! Good luck!
Good luck on that one. Be forceful but nice and leave out the blackmail/going to the public thing. They don't care and it will put you in a disfavorable light.
However, if you have had your major services done at a Honda dealer they may look more favorably on you. I don't know about the Honda transmission warranty on your year and model. Check out www.lemonaidcars.com to see if there are any secret warranties.
If you bought it used as a certified used Honda from a Honda dealer then you would have the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty available to you I believe.
box2003

Does the extended transmission warranty only apply to the original owner? I would have thought it would transfer as long as the paperwork was legit.