1999 Honda Accord Timing belt

I have a 99 Accord LX (2.3L) automatic transmission. It's done about

88500 miles, and I'm thinking of changing the timing belt. This is my first car, and my first major repair/maintanence work. The honda authorized service center guy said that along with the timing belt, it's advisable to change the balancer belt, water pump, some oil seals and gaskets. Can anyone please corroborate on this info, and give me suggestions /advice on what is neccessary to change. I'd also greatly appreciate it if you could give me a price range. Thanks a bunch. Srikanth
Reply to
sriki07

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Your car needs its belts replaced every eight years or 105,000 miles. You're due for it now.

Very good advice. The same labor is need to get at all those parts anyway. And the balancer belt MUST be changed at the same time in any case!

Replace accessory drive belts as well.

Spin the tensioner/idler pulleys by hand. Replace if signs of wear. But they usually last at least until the second belt change, so you should be OK there.

Use all OEM parts and coolant.

Independent garages will charge less, but may use incorrect coolant and aftermarket parts unless you specify OEM. You'll probably save $100 or so using an independent and OEM parts.

Reply to
Tegger

Reply to
Howard

innews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Thanks! That was great help.

Reply to
sriki07

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
sriki07

technically, the belt is due on age, but if it were my car, i'd be inclined to wait.

regarding changing other parts, most should last until the second change if you've been using decent lubes and coolant. oil seals particularly i'd leave unless they're leaking. sealing surfaces are too frequently messed up by inept removal of old seals. oil quality affects seal leakage big time - due to use of seal conditioners in their formulation. or not.

Reply to
jim beam

I'd also greatly

Replacement of my 2000 Accord's timing belt, water pump, balancer belt, seals and gaskets (like others said, it all makes sense while they're in there) at my New Hampshire Honda dealer ran exactly 499.95. However, they did not replace my drive belts at that time - I think you'd have to ask specifically to have that done as well.

Reply to
Butcher