1st service fo my 05 Accord

Page 1 of 2
Hello folks;
I've purchased my 05 Accord LX-G 5 speed Manual 4 cyl on May 27th, 2005. It is coming up to 4 months now, I went to the dealership to book an
appointment for it's 1st service, well the guy @ the counter recommended that I wait until I reach close to 8000km or 1 year before I get that 1st service done. This seems like a long time between oil changes even with the new advanced 5W20 that Honda puts in the engines now days. I looked at the maintenance schedule and it says for the "severe" service that every 8000km or 4 moths, the oil, filter should be changed along with the recommended servicing. Should I insist on having this service done or wait?
I live in Northern Ontario and sooner then later we will have our 1st winter storm, I want to be ready for it. Besides, I am going on my annual hunting trip which requires me to travel 500km one way.
Thank you for your advice;
Rick
Skipper wrote:

what does it say in the owners manual?
I read the manual and it does not specifically say anything about the 1st service.
Rick

Skipper wrote:

but it gives you the service schedule. that's all you need to worry about.

What's an LX-G?
My mistake, my previous car was an 02 Civic DX-G (the G stood for a group option package) , I presently own an 05 Accord LX.
Rick

Rick
Ignore the "manual" mavens and get the service done. One year/8k km is just too long an interval unless you drive long distance trips almost exclusively. I have a 2005 Accord EX I purchased in early May and it just turned 4k miles. I'm changing the oil and filter done this week with the recommended 5W-20, but I'm using Mobil 1, which I use in all of my vehicles and have done so for over 20 years. My schedule is 4 months or 4000 miles, whichever comes first (it's always 4 months, though). I almost always do it myself to keep expenses reasonable, and I've not had any type of engine component failure - ever. Cheap insurance for the engine, better mileage, easier starts in cold weather, etc.
doug

doug wrote:

do you wait for tires to wear out or do you follow some gut feeling method for their change schedule as well? fact is, if you're following the manufacturer spec, and are using a decent oil with a decent additive package, there's nothing to worry about. especially not for first service.

Do you wait for your engine to sludge up or do you blindly follow the "Recommended" service intervals in your beloved manual? The fact is that a number of well regarded automobile manufacturers have experienced engine problems caused by the oil change interval given to their customers. You can believe it or not - I guess it comes down to whether you can accept a truth contrary to your opinion. Just check out the Toyota and Saab newsgroups. With very few exceptions, I believe that every car owner should use the extreme service recommendations as a guideline. More frequent oil changes won't damage an engine. It will hurt your wallet a little, but as I said, it's cheap insurance.

I change the cheap dino oil in my '01 V6 Accord every 7K to 7500 miles. I now have 134,000 miles on it and it starts up everytime and runs smooth. When should I expect this sludge problem to start? Keep in mind, my car isn't a Toyota or Saab.

Mine came to roost around 210K or 220K miles on our '85 turbo Volvo. The crankcase is probably as clean as the rocker assy I can see through the oil filler (pretty nice, even if brown) but the grunge carried in the oil mist that circulated through the crankcase ventilation system plugged a 3/8 inch hose solid. I never thought about cleaning such a large hose, so it went unnoticed until I saw a large cloud of blue smoke following me down the freeway. At the next turnoff, about five miles later, I opened the hood to see everything on the driver's side coated with oil spewing from the dipstick tube. I had lost 3 quarts in 5 minutes. Tearing the ventilation system down later, I found the air/oil separator baffle box nearly plugged. It also weighed several ounces more than the new one because of the hardened sludge inside it.
It was that experience that convinced me to change to synthetic in the Volvo in spite of the risk of leaks. The top guru on the alt.autos.volvo group reported engines running synthetic don't generate those oil mist deposits, so I took the chance. When it didn't leak I changed my daughter's Accord to synthetic.
To each their own, but I'm a confirmed synthetic user now.
Mike

For the horror stories and the photos to go with them, it's hard to beat TeGGer's collection: http://tegger.com/hondafaq/sludge/index.html Look what can happen in just 8700 miles! http://tegger.com/hondafaq/sludge/cleaning_sludge.html
Mike
doug wrote:

It is a shame to waste Mobil-1 on 4 month/4,000 mile oil change intervals. You are discarding a lot of perfectly good motor oil way before it's time. If you are running a top grade synthetic like that there is no reason not to go the full 7,500 mile (V-6) or 10,000 mile (4) intervals Honda calls for in it's current vehicles. By using such an expensive oil you are already giving yourself a huge safety margin over the factory recommendations. In fact, there are plenty of good sub $2.00/quart motor oils on the market now which are completely up to the job.
Oils, fuels and engines are all light-years better today than they were 20 years ago.
John
The oils and engines are light years ahead but the people in this country are to entwined in the past to understand that. If 3000 miles was good for my great grandpa then I should change it every week......

Waste of good oil? Hardly. If you want to run oil - even Mobil 1 - for 10,000 miles in your engine, be my guest. Some day in the future, the dealership will welcome you with open arms. The demands of driving in most areas today, e.g., frequent starts, stop and go driving, combined with the higher level of design, machine tolerances and assembly of modern engines, require a much higher quality level for lubricants. You are correct that current dino-based oils are much better today than 20 years ago, but the demands placed upon them have significantly increased also. If you think that a sub $2.00 per quart oil is the best option for YOUR engine, it's your choice.
doug

doug wrote:

ok, so which one of you is going to present the technical rationale for this well researched decision of yours? i want numbers.

There is one in every group. I guess you're him.

doug wrote:

eh? so next time you fly, is it going to be ok with you if the pilot doesn't bother to calculate the fuel load against the destination distance? how about the inspection crew only bothering to look for fatigue cracks when they "felt" it was time? alternatively, imagine you're the fleet manager for a large haulage company. how are you going to formulate your maintenance schedules? will your customers mind if you charge them extra because you "feel" you need to spend 3 times as much on lubes as your competitors?
bottom line, there's some method to this madness. disregard is both expensive and stupid.

Nope. Oil analysis.
Did you manage to destroy M1 in 10k miles, Jim? Or did you just "feel" you did?
Steve Bigelow wrote:

that's the way to answer the scheuling question.

why are you asking me that question? i'm not the one defending 4k mobil 1 change schedule.