2006 Civic Si pricing scheme

Page 1 of 2
Nice little car and I like it better than the 2006 Acura RSX Type S. I'm ready to buy the Si but local dealer wanted $5,000 above invoice at first
and he came down to $2,000 above invoice after going back and forth for an hour. No thank! With a few clicks on the computer keyboard, an internet manager quoted me below invoice - much better deal. Why would anyone pay $3,000 or more over invoice if he could get it under with just a little shopping around? What's the best price you've seen on the 2006 Si so far?

Our local dealer does not have any. Expects to receive one in late Jan, but it is already sold. I have seen a couple for sale on Ebay for well over MSRP. In one case the price is around 28k.
I don't understand why anyone would want to pay so much for such an ugly car...

James wrote:

Yeah, it's surprising to see so many Crapsler 300's out there. :-)
I am glad someone finally said it... Yeah, it's surprising to see so many Crapsler 300's out there. :-)
It is a car that wants to be an El Camino or maybe a Dodge Ram when it grows up. Or maybe it is was modeled after a really ugly woman with a mustache.
I would love to know where you got quoted for around the invoice price. I haggled a local dealer down to $23,500 - $1200 trade in (95 civic ex) but I balked at that. I was willing to pay $21K-$1000 for a sticker MSRP of $20,500
I would love to know where you got quoted for around the invoice price. I haggled a local dealer down to $23,500 - $1200 trade in (95 civic ex) but I balked at that. I was willing to pay $21K-$1000 for a sticker MSRP of $20,500. Think I will go out and buy a RSX Type S
I think you'll just have to be patient and wait for about six months or so. By that time... there should be plenty around... and those shiester dealers won't be able to command that markup any more.
Professor www.telstar-electronics.com

Why are they shyster dealers if they're just charging what the market will bear?
Just because YOU can't or won't afford it, doesn't make the seller a shyster.
Sorry for topposting... but I think it is a given that car dealers are shysters period, so what is your problem with the comment?
The fact of the matter is that when a car dealer attempts to sell me a car for 5k over invoice, and is calling it a deal, that is a little shady. having said that, I called the dealer back the next day, and it was gone for sticker price
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

On 10 Jan 2006 08:22:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Agreed..........
just because we exist in a free market society does not mean that whatever you charge is fair and reasonable just because the market will bear it or someone is willing to pay.
I generally have a "low" opinion of car dealers / car salespeople anyway.
We always have the ability to walk away from the deal but that in no way justifies the actions of the seller.
Car sales people in general are "slime-balls" I've never trusted any of them!
Sure the dealers set their own prices..... I for one would never do business with a dealer who tried to charge such a mark-up.
I can't think of anything offhand that so much BS is involved in when you go to buy it, as it is with buying a vehicle.
The question is..... not if you were screwed at the dealer but how bad was it!
--
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net
remove ** to email

Pray tell, why not?
Sure, it's not reasonable to YOU because YOU don't want to pay that. But if they have 12 cars to sell and 15 people wanting those cars at $5K over invoice, what's your beef?
Just because YOU don't think it's reasonable doesn't mean others don't think it's reasonable. If they're willing to pay, and they have the money, that's all that matters.
What bothers you is that you're excluded from those deals simply because you can't pay the going rate.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:02:52 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

buddy
You don't know crap!
--
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net
remove ** to email

I know that you're one of those who (a) wants one now, but (b) doesn't want to pay the price (or can't). Therefore, dealers who charge AND GET more than what you WANT (or CAN) pay are, by your definition, scum.
Maybe if you got a better job. Or maybe if you got a job, period.

In the case of simple pricing, it sure does.
Caveat emptor. If the salesman is doing something shady, then you walk away--no harm, no foul.
You all seem to think that he shouldn't be doing everything he can to maximize his income. If he can convince you that the car is worth more money--and that's his job--then he's doing his job. It's up to you, the consumer, to be aware of his job and not to think of him as your buddy or pal. His job is to extract as much money from you as he can.
Your job is to spend as little money as you can.
You all just don't like it that you're in a position where you have to work, to negotiate. You want it all cut and dried, like buying a shirt at the store. Hey, it has a price tag on it, take it or leave it. Wal-Mart doesn't negotiate. You're happy with that.
So why not go buy a Saturn?
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:05:50 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

"we-All" don't agree with your analysis.
a person who tries to take advantage of the consumer buy purely just tacking one extreme profit is a decent good business person?
You ever hear of ethics? You ever hear of reasonable profit?
The issue is that the average consumer only knows the value of the car by the sticker price..... the dealer takes this and then tacks on $5K or whatever.
--
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net
remove ** to email

"by tacking on extreme profit"?
You don't get out much, do you?
The invoice number is pure fantasy. The sticker number is pure fantasy. The car is worth what someone will pay for it, period. The dealer finds that number as best he can. His job is not to leave money on the table.
That's his JOB.
If someone is willing to pay $26,000 for an Si, why shouldn't the dealer get that?
Who *cares* what the sticker says? It's all fantasy, and has nothing to do with the selling price.
You're just an idiot who doesn't like to negotiate, who thinks that everything should be black-and-white on pricing.
How do you buy a house, anyway? I guess it doesn't matter, since you don't have enough money to buy one or income to support it.

But going the other way is OK with you, I suppose.
It's OK for GM to offer $15K in "discounts" and "rebates" on slow selling, overpriced, leather-bound trucks, right?
You've just shown yourself. You'll be happy to BE the slimeball who won't pay the sticker price but demands $15K UNDER--gee, after all, that's just what that truck is worth, it was "overpriced" to begin with, right?--but you don't like OTHERS to be the "slimeballs" who charge OVER that fantasy sticker price if that's what the car is worth.
So why aren't you railing at everyone for not buying those GM trucks at sticker price? After all, isn't that how the consumer knows what the value of the car is? Why are those consumers leaving those cars on the lot in droves, forcing GM to come up with these huge rebates? Isn't the sticker price the value of the car?
Yer an idiot.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 05:43:07 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

my last comment to you is this.... Get a clue!
--
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net
remove ** to email

Your own words reveal you for what you are.