2006 Civic Si octane reqirements

Hey gang!

The wife will be taking delivery of her new car when it arrives in 2 weeks. I expect it will be filled with premium for delivery, but given the price of gas/gal, do we have to stick with premium?

She likes the car and will not use the full capability of the engine anyway. so what do you think?

Reply to
Carfan

I think you put in whatever the manual states. If it calls for more than regular, try a grade lower and see if it causes pinging. If so, bump back up.

Reply to
Seth

Please put 91/93 in that sweet ass engine, maybe you shoulda got the EX.

Reply to
MAT

I used to own a 2001 Maxima SE before the 06 Accord I currently own. It recomdneds "premium for max performance" after having the car for a month I tried to use regular in it for a tank. and let me say... I NEVER did that again.. Modern engines that require high octaine gas have a Knock sesnor in it, so if you put in lower grade gas than what is calls for, it retards the timing to compensate for the lower grade gas. when my maxima did this it ran like absolute crap... also the "knock sensor" has to "sense" the knock before it can retard the timing, so your engine is knocking before it retards the timing.... long story short, it only costs your a few dollars more per fil up (2-3 bucks) to get premium... like i said with my Maxima, one tank of regular made me NEVER put anything BUT premium in it. I'd say you might be able to get away with mid grade.. but I'd do that at the bare min... in my opinion

Reply to
Dr Nick

I think that you read the Owners Manual and go from there for every aspect of being the owner of a Honda.

That aside, every Honda vehicle I've owned over the years has come from the factory made to achieve the best fuel mileage using regular fuel. I have tried other grades of fuel and none of them have achieved any significant differences in mpg to warrant the added cost of the higher grades.

Reply to
Brian Smith

The Prelude I previously owned developed 200 hp at 7,000 rpm out of 2.2 ltrs. You had to run premium in it. The SI developes 197 hp under the new SAE hp rules which means it likely is comparable to the older Prelude but with a smaller displacement. Run 87 octane at your own risk. But, I have to ask why you bought the SI. The EX would have been far more appropriate if you wanted gas economy on regular gas.

Reply to
tww

I have a 2006 si, I filled the tank and add gas when I hit a quater mark. The price for filling up to the full mark is not so bad as filling a near empty tank. This engine gets good mileage with fast starts and hi revs. The cost for hi test is worth it for the fun one gets from driving this car. stay out of food houses and spend the cash on gas.

Reply to
jack

We still don't know: what does the owner's manual say the fuel requirements are for this car?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Premium, in the manual and at the gas filler.

Reply to
MAT

We take delivery tomorrow evening - she is pretty excited!

Based on the feedback, it will be premium all the way!

Reply to
Carfan

91 Octane...
Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Mine was delivered yesterday. It is a blast. Hope she is loving it like I am.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne