2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

It sounds like drag (not just coefficient, but entire magnitude) of drag is already factored in.

says: "The energy required to move the rollers can be adjusted to account for aerodynamic forces and the vehicle's weight." The coefficient of drag is just that, a coefficient relative to a "bluff body" (flat surface) of the same frontal area. Drag is the actual retardive force.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Another unnecessary limitation of current tests is that cars are placed in weight categories instead of factoring in their actual weight. Apparently this is why the Accord Hybrid previously had no spare tire in 2005 and when they added one in 2006 the milage estimates dropped noticeably. The extra weight put it into the next category and it was severely punished.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Reply to
Spazpop2000

This is from a Road & Track article on the 2005 Accord Hybrid:

Less sun and storage. No sunroofs allowed, because when it came down to crunch time, the Accord Hybrid was on the verge of being bumped up another EPA weight class and something had to go. [Goes on to note absence of spare tire also.]

EPA documents refer to weight classes in this description of the milage tests.

Inertia weight class means the class, which is a group of test weights, into which a vehicle is grouped based on its loaded vehicle weight in accordance with the provisions of part 86 of this chapter.

Here is the table itself. Note that at around 3500 pounds the classes are in increments of 125 pounds. So, at some point, one more pound counts as 125.

Gordon McGrew

We're batting around the idea of an IMA Accord as well; mileage isn't as great as it could be (if they offerd it as a 4-cyl vs. the 6-cyl), but it's also nice having the extra power and cabin space.

Did you buy an '05 or '06? I'm curious as to the reduction in EPA mileage estimates on the '06 vs. '05- it wouldn't seem that the extra

80-90 pounds that a spare and sunroof adds would decrease mileage by that much. There are claims that it is just matter of weight class; the extra poundage kicked it into another class, which reduced mileage figures.

I did take an '06 for a test drive >Thanks, Spaz_pop Great Site. I'll have to register my Accord, which

Reply to
Spazpop2000

I have outfitted my '05 with a spare at mucho $$$$. Currently getting the EPA 29 "in town" but that is not a lot of true stop and go. Pretty straight shot to work on a limited access at 55, but the humps are enough to drop it out of 3-cyl mode. I get over 37 mpg on interstates from your neighboring state to the west traveling to the neighbor in the east to see the grandkids.

Sunroof would have been nice... I think the calculation method for hybrids was or is changing to assure the same charge in the battery at the finish as at the start. (Not sure if it was a requirement in the past.)

I wish I still had the Civic, also, for around town, but the wife would not let go of having a (German) American car and trade hers in.

If I could only have one and it was my trip car - I take the Accord. The Hybrids are status not $$$ savings, anyway, for the next 5 years - no matter whose it is. Maybe then the cost penalty will lessen and the technology will improve.

TTFN

Reply to
CC

Well, I guess it's a moot point now; with the increase in MSRP on the '06, coupled with the limited supply (and thus the unwillingness of dealers to move on the price), the IMA Accord is just too pricey for us now. So, we'll keep the '04 IMA civic and enjoy our newest purchase...an '06 Audi A3.

So, I guess we have a couple of things in common; although my wife has the hybrid and I have the German car...

Later!

BH

Reply to
Spazpop2000

I have yet to find anyone who actually achieves the fuel economy with their hybrids that the "EPA" numbers suggest. Somehow or another the car companies, Honda included, are gaming the process.

The break-in argument is a smoke screen.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Very few people have achieved the EPA numbers since they were developed three decades ago. That's why the disclaimers that the numbers are for comparison purposes only and that your mileage may vary.

That said, our 2002 Prius is usually within 10% of the estimates in decent weather; upper 40s to lower 50s around town and roughly the same on the freeway. Cold weather takes a toll, and today's freeway speeds no longer match the EPA test conditions.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My 2003 Civic got an overall 40 to 41 (grand total during ownership) with High 30's in town and 44 to 45 on the interstates. If I stayed at 55 mph then I could get 48 on the highway. LIke Mike, within 10% if you always behaved.

Reply to
CC

Not really John. The database at greenhybrid.com, tank by tank, and car by car, show folks getting considerably above the EPA estimates. I personally get 47.5 city and 51 highway, about spot on.

Reply to
rysa4

Hi / I also just recntly purchased a honda civic hybrid 2006. great car, but I am not yet overly impressed my the mileage i get in town (note though that the twon is mexico city, and the high altitude (around 7000 ft) might have an influende. But perhaps jdsnipes could tell readers a secret or two how to hande the hybrid. Is it worth paying attention to not using the aircondition a lot?, does it make sense to try and keep the battery full? is i better use the breaks or the lower gear when driving downhill? how "soft: should one best accelerate ? I am sure that driving patterns matter, but which exactly are best suited to the hybrid? By the way, I never ever seem to have had the electric motor only move the car forward.., even when rolling at low speeds.. is there a trick to make this happen??

regards gr

rysa4 wrote:

Reply to
greg

I added an old post below, also.

1) The current crop of Honda's never move on electric only. The engine must always be running.

2) As I explain below, I do get the rated mileage on the Accord but was between 5 and 10 % under epa on the Civic.

3) As you coast you will see it start charging (called regeneration or regen mode), then as soon as you touch the brake, you will see it increase the regen and with significant braking pressure the regeneration goes to maximum. So, in general, the care and feeding of the battery will take care of itself. Even when living in a mountain state where you MUST use the engine on long downhills and PUMP the brakes, remember BRAKE PADS ARE CHEAPER THAN ENGINES. The brakes are usually the better primary means for passenger autos.

If you know you are going to climb a long hill, then yes it is better to have a full battery to start, but there are limited, if any, things you can do that are worth doing. If you need the electric boost to have sufficient total horespower, then maybe going out of the way to charge the battery first has some merit, but very little. Once the battery is gone, hill climbing capability gets pretty poor in the Civics with CVT. Not a problem in the Accords.

Other than that here is what I think of the Accord:

Reply to
CC