91' Civic

Hi, I have a 91 civic and the clutch is very hard to operate. A couple of times the gear wouldnt shift and I have had to put th eblinkers and keep trying and finally it would. Can anyone tell me if I need a new
gear/clutch system and if so the costs I would incur? Its a manual transmission btw. Thank You.
hk wrote:

Check the clutch cable adjustment. There should be about a 1/4" of free play.
Eric
How many miles are on your Civic?
For such an old (at least by age) car, and given the symptoms you describe, the probability is high that the clutch is indeed worn. You can google for {worn clutch symptoms} for more exacting tests. A number of sites come up explaining.
I would estimate $400 to $800 for a new clutch, based on postings here and a bit of knowledge of what's involved in the job.
If the engine seems sound and you otherwise like the car, I'd put the money into it. I'm also a 91 Civic owner (LX, 176k miles). I'm hoping to take it to at least 250k, based on my reading here and the work I do on it.

Thanx for the info. The clutch is indeed worn out and has to be replaced. The cable I think is not the problem.Hopefully I can keep this car for another 100k. Really appreciate your responses.