91 Civic, no spark

Hi all, I need help! Please!?!?!?!

91 Civic dx, 1.5l. TEC distributor (which isn't in the Haynes manual) I've read through the earlier posts on this topic and don't think I've managed to find the problem. This thing cranks and cranks, no go. It has fuel, just no spark. Changed the igniter, still no go. Took the dist. cover off and noticed that the wire to the side of the igniter did not get put on properly by the mech who changed the igniter. Fixed that connection up but still no go. Did we fry the igniter by trying to start it with this wire not getting good contact? Next, checked the coil best I could figure out from the manual which doesn't cover this distributor. Resistance from + to - with the wires disconnected is 1.2 ohms; 12.5 ohms from the + to the tower; 12.9 from - to the tower. Like I said, the Haynes manual doesn't cover a TEC distributor so I don't have reference values to see if this is right for the coil. Also, before I rip it back apart was hoping to hear if we screwed the new igniter in our follies. Thanx a pile, reply to my email too if you don't mind, it's valid. Cheers, Gord
Reply to
Gord

is that ohms or k ohms int he coil secondary? if it's ohms, your coil's dead.

other than that, don't think you fried the igniter with a bad connection.

better diagnosis is like this;

are you getting signal from the ecu? are you getting power to the igniter? are you getting power switched from the igniter? does the coil spark when you energise & release? are you getting spark from the dist cap/rotor assy?

answering each of those questions will determine fault. all the individual test methods are described in the faq's or other online sources.

as part of the "power to the igniter" testing, while i don't think it's common, i recently had the ignition condenser/capacitor fail. it was near short and was weakening the spark considerably. check it while you have the distributor open.

Reply to
jim beam

OOPS! k ohms, sorry

not getting any signal from the light under the carpet... with my luck the light's burned out!

Reply to
Gord

Reply to
Gord

it's in tegger's signature.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Where did you find this condenser? It's not the RF cap is it?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

it's on the outside of the distributor body. it's wired into the loom that connects the igniter circuitry in the distributor. part of item 12.

jim beam

I do not know if you have replaced the distributor cap and rotor yet. I say this just in case, because I had the same symptoms on my 97 CRV, crank but no spark or start. The distributor contacts had just the slightest amount of the "whitish" powder buildup on them. The rotor contact edge was "crumbly" looking, not sharp and distinct like the new one I had bought. I replaced the cap and it started right up. I then replaced the rotor and it ran a lot smoother. Hope this helps. BTW, I bought it used w/ 65K miles, and I have about 115K on it now. Good Luck.

Reply to
katmandu

jim beam wrote in news:mMWdndjK8NPA-T3fRVn- snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Hmm. I see it. It looks just like an old-style Kettering condenser. My wiring diagrams don't show it.

I'll add a reference to the FAQ, thanks.

Reply to
TeGGeR®