91 Mustang GT very hard clutch pedal

Hi, I've got a Stock 91 mustang gt with the original clutch (about 70k) anyway its really hard to push the last part of the pedal travel (too hard) It was like this before the cable broke and I had replaced it, Anyone know what could be causing this ? cable is pretty new, and routed the same way as before, can the clucth fork move off its pivot point or something

Thanks in advance "D"

Reply to
gixserman

gixserman opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Got bucks?

If it was that way before the cable broke, and still that way..I think it's time to pull the trans and bellhousing and do a new clutch while you're at it.

If you replaced the cable, you'd have noticed any problems on the cabin side and that wouldnt have broken the cable anyway.

Get a book and follow directions, you'll probably be replacing the trans input shaft collar. Replace ANYTHING that's worn in there.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

could be the springs on the clutch pressure plate are broken. Springs were broken on my 95 GT sometime back, got the clutch replaced (about $450), and the pedal was a lot easier to press after that. The difference was night was night and day.

-Bill J.

95 GT
Reply to
Bill Jones

sounds like good advise,

I finally got to see a picture of the area, and I was guessing the fork, pivot ball, and input shaft collar as well as the standard clutch /throwout bearing stuff.

Yes it was the same before the cable broke. it always was a little bit stiffer then some other mustangs but nothing like this.

Thanks for the reply. "D"

Reply to
gixserman

I've also had issues with el-cheapo clutch cables. Not teflon coated or not lubed properly or something. I hung a stock Ford one on after shelling out the cash and had much less of a problem. Had to go with a quadrant too as the el-cheapo was so stiff it broke the plastic quadrant.

JS

Reply to
JS