91 CRX HF Speedometer

I recently bought a 91 CRX HF, great little car, but the speedometer doesn't work. I had a local mechanic look at it and he said something about the contection at the tranny appeared fine, but the connector at
the instrument cluster was messed up. He said he had no idea why it would have broke there? No biggie, right? It should be as simple as replacing the cable? Any insight would be much appreciated, Thank you in advance!!