96 civic aftermarket remote lock- door mechanism now needs the handle lifted to lock

Does anyone know how to switch the door mechanism to where the door handle doesn't need to be lifted to lock. The driver door no longer locks when I use the remote, so I took off the panel, thinking I just
needed to adjust a screw on one of the rods, but found that they're fine and that the door handle just needs to be lifted- something that the aftermarket mechanism obviously will not do. I see that the passenger door handle doesn't need to be lifted, so I'm figuring there's something simple I've got to do to the mechanism to switch it back that way (or the thing's broken). Went through the trouble of taking it all out but can't figure out what it is. Thanks