98 Civic Radio Volume

98 Civic radio volume control problem.

Specifically, it barely works. Most likely a slight force up and to the right while very slowly turning the dial will decrease (or increase depending on something) the volume.

Any one else had the problem? Any fixes?

Reply to
ecarecar

Just for you to not feel alone, I had exactely the same issue with mine (98 civic LX, the stock radio).

The bad behavior started about one year ago and I was blaming my wife's brisk handling...

Three weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and installed an aftermarket CD player (ordered it from Crutchfield, they really are good), but I miss the simple interface and huge buttons of the original one.

The radio sits on the bench at work. I am curious enough to try to fix it; the root cause seems to be the dial itself, consisting in a simple tachometer. Since the contacts appear to be OK, my guess is that the phase between them has shifted somehow and maybe a simple reseating will do.

If I find out more, I'll let you know.

Serban

ecarecar wrote:

Reply to