aftermarket radio installation question (Civic 98 LX)

Hello,

Getting tired of not having a CD player in my 98 Civic, I got from Crutchfield a nice Sony receiver and the required wire harnesses.

The install was very easy, except for the mechanical side. For all these aftermarket receivers, the installation consists in positioning the sleeve and then bending down the pre-cut tabs.

In theory, the tabs fixate the sleeve and the sleeve fixates the receiver. In practice though, there is nothing behind the dashboard for the tabs to get into. The original radio was surrounded by air, being kept in place by a L-shaped tab that was screwed in the back of the radio and on a horizontal bar deep down behind the dashboard.

I am now contemplating the prospect of using a milling machine to cut from aluminum an equivalent L tab for the Sony receiver, but before doing this, I'd like to ask you: if you replaced the factory radio yourself, how did you fixate the new radio in the dashboard?

Thank you,

Serban

Reply to
gigelus2k3

Serban,

When I replaced the stereo in my 97 Civic, I used the sleeve and bent down the tabs. Granted, it's not as secure as the original, but it moves very little. Also, not sure if the 98s are the same, but you may need to keep the original stereo in for the keyless entry. My keyless is run through the stereo. If you remove it, the keyless won't work. If this is the case, you need to get a reverse harness so both systems will be powered.

Mike

Reply to
MinnesotaMike

I bent down the tabs in my 98 civic, it doesn't move at all. However, with the right tools to pop the side tabs, a thief could be in and out of the vehicle in less than 30 seconds with the radio.... so far no problems with that.

M>Serban,

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Hello,

The thing is that the tabs do not bite into anything, behind the dash it's a huge open space. The receiver is sitting there holding just on the front frame (snug fit). However, behind the front frame, the receiver just hangs in there; that's why I was looking for a way to add a third holding point.

Serban

Reply to
gigelus2k3