AC Compressor

The AC compressor in my 1997 Honda Civic EX is completely shot. I was wondering how much it would cost to replace the whole thing? I took it over to Firestone, and they gave me an estimate of around
$1200. $1200 for an AC compressor, plus labor and parts!!?? Am I getting screwed by them? The technician told me that AC compressors for Honda Civics are "very expensive."
Anthony Martinez wrote:

================================ The cR-V guys who have had similar troubles say you have to change out LOTS more than just the compressor, since the whole system is now full of 'schrapnel'. . . .
'Curly'
I'm in the process of replacing my compressor for the second time on my 95 Civic Ex. My first replacement with a new compressor lasted 4 years. New Honda Compressors from Manchester Honda are not very expensive($340). Working and installing AC units for over 30 years, I thought I did everything right. I replaced the compressor, receiver dryer, and expansion valve and flushed the system. I was not aware that Civic condensors cannot be flushed. This time I'm replacing everything except the evaporator with OEM parts. By the way, if it were my car, I would not be going to Firestone for AC work. I would find the most qualified AC guy in town or use the dealer. Good luck.