Accord 2014 hybrid

Anyone drive this thing yet?

The specs are interesting - if hard to get any details on. The question is how does it work in the real world.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I drove it; gave it a good 25 mile freeway loop.

It works. And it uses modern lithium ion batteries. Toyota will scramble and Prius and Avalon selling prices will drop because of this.

Apples to apples compared to a non-hybrid Accord, at $3.50/gallon the breakeven point is down to 5.5 years. If you lease a car and turn it over before then, financially this is still not the car for you. But in the world where people keep their cars, this would be a keeper.

I would, however, buy the full 8 year Hondacare package for it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What gets me thinking "hybrid" is getting 15mpg in my Accord i4 when stuck in bumper-to-bumper. Made for hybrids!

The other question is whether the dual system might outperform the i4 generally and *still* return better mileage.

Or, do all these modes and options get in the way of moving smoothly and expeditiously around town?

J.

Reply to
JRStern

No. It just worked. And I got 45mpg on that freeway loop, according to the indicator.

I've had a Prius for 7 years now, so I had something to judge it by. Driving a car that doesn't have a traditional step geared transmission is nothing new for me. And it doesn't get in the way at all.

The Accord Hybrid does perform well--no sluggishness there. I have to believe it does outperform the I4.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If so, sounds nice and worth a modest premium!

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
JRStern