after market radio prob

bought a pioneer headunit for my car and had a couple friends of mine handle installing it.theyve done this for me in the past and i havent had a prob...but this time the headunit will not recieve anything but
static for AM. Fm cd and all its other features i use work fine; just the am is all static. manufacturers warranty is void if its installed by "your buddies" it seems. anyone have any troubleshooting tips....
02civic wrote:

Dunno.. Sounds like an antenna, or cable/connector problem. Is the antenna made to work AM and FM? Correct impedance cable, etc? If you are using the stock antenna, it should work ok.. One note.. The typical AM antenna on a car is a high impedance voltage probe of sorts. It differs from the usual FM whip. Make sure both conductors of the feedline "center wire, and shield" are actually making a good connection on both ends of the cable. "radio and antenna". Make sure the antenna ground is good. It's possible the radio is flaky, but I kind of doubt it. It's probably ok. That it picks up static is a good sign. MK