aftermarket radio prob

bought a pioneer headunit for my car and had a couple friends of mine handle installing it.theyve done this for me in the past and i havent had a prob...but this time the headunit will not recieve anything but static for AM. Fm cd and all its other features i use work fine; just the am is all static. manufacturers warranty is void if its installed by "your buddies" it seems. anyone have any troubleshooting tips....

Reply to
02civic

Could be that the AM tuner isn't getting a connection to the antenna. Does the unit have separate am and fm antennas? If there is a common antenna between AM and FM maybe there is a bad/broken connection inside the unit where the antenna separates and goes to each tuner, should be very close to where the antenna plug enters the unit. If there is individual, separate plugs for AM and FM I would suspect the antenna/cable assembly before the unit. If it is possible to operate the unit out of the car, sometimes it is possible to pick up stations even without a antenna if you live in an area with some strong signal stations, inside the car without an antenna it is almost impossible to receive anything but static. This might help prove it to be the antenna or not. good luck, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy