Escort radio prob after battery change

Hi,

I have an L reg but very low mileage 1.8TD Escort which is determined to make my life hell. I'm hoping this problem is easy to fix and I'm sure I found the answer when I googled this group before but I can't find it again! Excuse the rambling but I've had so much happen with lately I'll give as much detail as possible just in case it's not obvious.

It had a new battery in it, bought from the AA, in January 03. Then, in September that year the cambelt went at 80mph and, having spent £1200 getting that sorted, I thought my problems were over. The car sat outside without moving for a month or so and when I went to move it the battery was flat and wouldn't accept a jump start so I called the AA who got it going. I drove it half an hour or so to the body shop (who were fixing the tailgate that someone had run into prior to the cambelt breaking - can you tell I've not had much luck with this car?) At this point I noticed that the radio (Ford FD2006 model) wasn't working but assumed I'd have to re-enter the code so thought nothing of it. Got to the bodyshop, turned the car off and couldn't get it started again!

A few days later, having refused to renew my AA membership and joined the RAC I called them out to get me started from the bodyshop. He told me the battery was knackered and sold me a new one, giving me all the paperwork I'd need to claim my money back from the AA. However, my radio *still* doesn't work! If I put my lights on it gets that green 'backlit' look so I assume that means there is power there but pressing the on/off button to try and enter the code just does nothing.

Advice please? Other than don't buy an Escort or AA battery again? :-)

Reply to
Auntie Pink

Fuse in the fusebox........10a i think.....Also...remove the facia and clean the contacts behind.... If this fails then remove the radio and un-plug the power wires....... let sit a couple minutes and plug in again..... Have seen those radios doing exactly what you say and this usually cures them..... As I stated in the Past... "HENRY FORD.... HE MADE WALKING A PLEASURE".

JK

Reply to
JK

Mainly don't let a car sit with a flat battery, new or old frost will kill it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from Auntie Pink contains these words:

Why? What have they done wrong? Few batteries like being left like that and if they're flat to start with won't recover.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks, I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

Reply to
Auntie Pink

I had to call them out a couple of times for the battery and that put me up to six callouts for the year. They then wanted to up my fee by

50% because of this and I thought that, being that it was down to their battery, it was unfair and moved providers when they wouldn't accept this.
Reply to
Auntie Pink

All th other ones will treat you the same. Letting your battery go flats considered to be your fault.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from Auntie Pink contains these words:

But it's not down to their battery, it's down to your not looking after it.

Reply to
Guy King