air condition problem

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX. Last night I noticed a knocking in my motor area. It's not steady like a rod knocking but more of an off rhythm knocking. It does not always knock either. When it is knocking I
can get it to stop instantly by turning off the A/C. What is causing this knock? I'm sure it needs repair but I need to know what to talk about with a repairman, and generally what to expect in cost. I would also like to know if this is something that has to be fixed immediately or can I still use my A/C for awhile without doing more damage resulting in much more expenses? Thank You -William (from Carolina Beach NC)
When I put all those questions in my crystal ball it went up in smoke. You are going to have to stick your head under the hood and find out where the noise is coming from. It could be anything and cost anything to fix....