black substance in coolant overflow.

my parents accord recently had a black substance (looks like oil) in their coolant over flow in their 99 2.3L accord ex. just wondering if there was a history of bad head gaskets on these cars, or if maybe
there is a transmission oil cooler in the radiator that could have caused the mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Car is an Automatic with 160k on the odometer.

Please describe this "black substance" in more detail.
Is it flaky-looking? Oily liquid puddles? Tarry? Thick? Thin? Floating? Sunk? What?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
the best way i can describe it is as black tar, sunk to the bottom. when i pull out the hose in the overflow tank, it looks like black cake batter.
"Tegger" wrote:
> > > my parents accord recently had a black substance (looks like > oil) in > > their coolant over flow in their 99 2.3L accord ex. just > wondering if > > there was a history of bad head gaskets on these cars, or if > maybe > > there is a transmission oil cooler in the radiator that > could have > > caused the mix. > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. > > > > Car is an Automatic with 160k on the odometer. > > > > > > Please describe this "black substance" in more detail. > > Is it flaky-looking? Oily liquid puddles? Tarry? Thick? Thin? > Floating? > Sunk? What? > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Did your parents have their cooling system serviced at some point(coolant change or hoses or thermostat replaced)? If so, it's possible that whoever did it threw in a can of sealant "just in case". This stuff sometimes doesn't get fully distributed and some of it collects in the resevoir. Looks like what you described.
Ken
renison03 wrote:

renison03 wrote:

================================== That's not the 'overflow', but the 'reservoir'. If the level is below the MIN line, whatever you see in there doesn't count. Fill it to MAX and then check it next time the engine is cool and report back if there's black stuff in it.
'Curly'
Car was recently purchased from a small lot dealer. We have no knowledge of the coolant system being service. black substance is below the minimum fill line on the resivior and there doesnt look to be any oil or black substance floating in the radiator. any more ideas?
"renison03" wrote: > my parents accord recently had a black substance (looks like > oil) in their coolant over flow in their 99 2.3L accord ex. > just wondering if there was a history of bad head gaskets on > these cars, or if maybe there is a transmission oil cooler in > the radiator that could have caused the mix. > Any help would be greatly appreciated. > > Car is an Automatic with 160k on the odometer.
renison03 wrote:

====================================== If you can see the stuff below the MIN line, the reservoir is EMPTY. The reservoir is never supposed to be empty, so just add about 1.5 litres of coolant to the system to bring it up to the MAX mark and then do it again in a couple days after the system has had a chance to purge some air.
'Curly'
coolant is above the the minimum line, black slime is below it.
"motsco_" wrote: > renison03 wrote: > > Car was recently purchased from a small lot dealer. We have > no > > knowledge of the coolant system being service. black > substance is > > below the minimum fill line on the resivior and there doesnt > look to > > be any oil or black substance floating in the radiator. any > more > > ideas? > > ====================================== > > If you can see the stuff below the MIN line, the reservoir is > EMPTY. The > reservoir is never supposed to be empty, so just add about 1.5 > litres of > coolant to the system to bring it up to the MAX mark and then > do it > again in a couple days after the system has had a chance to > purge some air. > > 'Curly'