Body Shop Made a mistake

Had my 01 CR-V repaired front end damage due to accident.

Insurance company authorized $9800.00 for repairs parts and labor, the vehicle was dismantled so the insurance adjuster could estimate repairs, now the insurance company has called me and wanted to know who authorized and additional $4000.00 in parts and labor.

I didn't, and told them all I wanted to know when I talked to the body shop was, is was the car totaled, is it going to be repaired and when will it be done.

I feel sorry for the repair shop being out $4K but its not my fault.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

This is bound to be some sort of communication glitch. I cannot imagine a body shop performing repairs that had not been authorized by the insurance company. In fact, most larger body shops around here (Austin, Texas) have contractual agreements with the major insurance companies (I can't remember the technical term) that essentially authorizes them to go ahead with a repair without getting authorization. (That sounds to me like a built in conflict of interest to me, but if the insurance companies are happy with the deal, why would I object.)

I guess it is just barely conceivable (but unlikely) that a body shop thought they had such an agreement and went ahead with a repair.

In any case, it dsoes not appear to be your problem, unless the shop refuses to release the car.

Elliot Richmond Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Reply to
Elliot Richmond