Born suckers

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:12:04 -0500, Noon-Air wrote:

Nissan 350Z

Acura NSX
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:01:11 -0600, pws wrote:

LOL! Was this a Freudian? It sure works!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Haha, I think so, it wasn't consciously intended. That is pretty good, I must admit, my best typo so far.
Pat
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:57 -0600, pws wrote:

LOL! <BSEG>!

As I said in other posts, if the "Big 3" offered what I wanted, I would have bought one of theirs instead of my Tundra.

Using your line of reasoning, liberals have a better "product" than the conservatives. "Proof" is that they were voted in as the majority.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:37:07 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Hey, Mike, maybe you haven't heard but since you were last posting here Ford is flirting with becoming the #4 automaker. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion that they will be passed by Toyota next year if not this year.
GM still outsells Toyota but their market share has been eroding for the last 30 years. Toyota's share is increasing rapidly as, to a lesser extent, is Honda's. If recent trends were to continue for the next four years, the 2010 sales leaders would be Toyota, GM, Daimler-chrysler, Honda, Ford in that order.

Toyota, GM, Honda, Ford, Chrysler,,,...........,,,, Daimler.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:37:07 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

the domestic market if you took rental cars out of the mix? I remember back when the Taurus was supposedly the top selling model in the US, It turned out to be because one of the rental companies bought them by the boatload. Without those sales, the Honda Accord would have been the top seller.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Actually, a lot of people really like the Taurus. They bought the used ones with like 15k or 20k mi on them cheap.
If you want to see how the Michigan 3 would do without rental sales, look at how they are doing now. They are decreasing their sales to rental companies.
Ford is expected to lose it place as #2 this year in the US market, and Toyota's car sales are nearly that of GM's.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

it's almost /worth/ buying a taurus if it's cheap enough. rental companies were buying them at 50% off list. and selling them at 30% - 40% off list. and they'd had their guts flogged out in between. great deal for the rental companies. which is why they bought them.

105k low cost miles.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:59:28 +0000, Some O wrote:

They were decent cars if you maintained them. I need a wagon or a van. I have a really nice Mazda 626 Winter beater, but I would like a Subaru AWD wagon, or a Toyota Corolla All-Trac, but a decent Sable or Taurus would make the list, too...
My preferences are: Toyota, then Subaru, then Ford. Actually, Ford kinda ranks higher than Subaru, but I like AWD without having to drive an SUV...

As for AWD I rented a Fusion AWD V6 for 24 hrs, doing a fast highway drive. It's highway handling was not as good I'm used to with FWD as it wandered on curves and required two hands to keep it on track. FWD my vehicles hold the track much better. Otherwise the Fusion impressed me and although I go to ski hills I have no need for more than FWD.
As for Subaru their fuel mileage is significantly less than other similar sized vehicles. I would have about a 20% increase in fuel mileage if I went to an Outback or more for a Forester.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Sounds like we think a lot alike. No SUV's here either, I'll take a wagon or a van if I actually need to move something big, but I would like AWD on a car, especially if I move to snow country.
The Taurus also had/has a great crash rating, one that was tested when a friend's Taurus got T-boned by a truck at an intersection with his elderly grandfather on the impact side.
There were some injuries, nothing too serious, but it probably would have been a fatality if he had been the passenger in my car in that situation.
Pat
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:56:47 -0600, pws wrote:

I used to sell used cars, and I had a loyal customer that used to buy all my beaters. He picked up a '94 LHS for $600, stored it for a year, and then GAVE it to me. Didn't have a use for it!
He also gave me a Grand Voyager AWD van. It was rough, but had few real problems and had no heat. The engine sounded like it was going to explode any second, but ran flawlessly! (Broken rocker tower, common on the 3.3L)
I finally killed it when I tried removing the water pump and broke a bunch of different bolts off. I would have just yanked the engine and put in another (I found an 80,000 mile motor for $200!) but the rack and pinion was also on the way out, so I gave it to a guy down the street that has 4 of them...

I hear they aren't getting the purchase deals they used to.

The big 2.5 also need to build the designs we want. They don't!

I would submit that explanation is not simple but rather simplistic. Far too simplistic. There are many, many factors involved in this situation that have nothing to do with quality of product.
DaveD

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id e471d3-8ddb-449c-95d4-50eb643037a5&k!038
<snip>
It's real simple. Americans want a car that *works* predictably and reliably for YEARS. Many, if given that choice, would buy AMERICAN vehicles if they met the criteria.
Sadly, most of the Detroit 3's offerings don't, haven't, and may not ever.
It's hard to remain loyal to any company that costs you regular trips to the repair shop and hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Some of us don't have that kind of scratch to throw around simply to be patriotic (putting everything else aside)....
It's sad. But people will buy what works.