Break-ins due to window/lock exploit

Page 2 of 2
I live in a large apartment complex, and my unit is on the back side of the building from where all of the parking is. Therefore I have no hope of
hearing my alarm, also none of the other tenants would even turn an ear to a car alarm. My Civic is a 96 with some body damage, spending 200 dollars (plus install) on a good alarm system seems like a questionable investment on a car I may own for less then a year.
WooHoo2You

The thieves do not know that. Granted an alarm will not stop professional thieves or really determined amateurs,but they still are a deterrent,something that makes them move on to other,undefended targets.

One has to balance the cost of defense against the value of the item and it's contents. If you discover your ECU or other major component stolen(that may not be available anymore),then you may be getting another car sooner than you think.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Great points. It's my guess that older cars that are less likely to have alarms are broken into more so than newer cars that do have alarms and other security measures built into them. I have stickers on each front window clearly indicating that it has a security system. I purchased the stickers at the Honda dealership. I noticed the same stickers on a new Honda Accord and told the guy at the parts desk to order them for me. I don't know why those same stickers were not on my car when I purchased it.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On Mon, 23 May 2005 09:45:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

one way around an alarm is a piece of coat hangar straightened and heated on one end. poke it through the battery and the alarm dies. was a popular trick on the vette's years ago. Chip

I read that a drill was used.A hot wire is not going to pierce a metal fender,either.
Now,alarms also sound when battery voltage drops.Some even have backup batteries.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

And the South Africans have this: http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car /
I understand car thieves in South Africa are exploring other employment opportunities. If only we were so civilized.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
If possible, park your car in plane sight under a light with no nearby hiding places and no nearby highways that are noisy. Thieves love to go to the back of the apartment complex next to a noisy Interstate and get the cars in the shadows under carports and next to dumpsters and those parked where they can see who's coming from all directions. I would also get a steering wheel lock.