Clutch Pedal Noise, 2003 Civic Si

The Honda's clutch pedal clicks and creaks when depressed (or even when it is in a good mood). I would be grateful for any insight about what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks!

Reply to
Enrico Fermi

Some Nuclear Physicist! Can't even figure out a clutch pedal! Good thing Little boy didn't burn the atmosphere! ;)

At any rate, I would look at a couple of things. From what you're describing the first thing I would look at would be the pin that holds the clutch pedal onto the bracket. It may have some teflon or similar plastic bushings and they are wearing out. Or, the pin or the bracket my be rusting (this has happened to me before, and if it's getting wet, you have bigger fish to fry. On one car it was caused by a windsheild replacement that just would not seal, and on another it was because the windshield frame/cowling/firewall was rotting out and allowing water into the car)

The next thing (or, perhaps, the first thing) is the spring. It may also have gotten wet, or has shifted and is binding against itself somehow. It may need to be 'reseated', which means merely moving it back to where it should be without removing it. I would also grease while I'm down there.

Also, check the connection to the plunger that runs through the firewall to the clutch Master Cylinder, and check the boot, too while you're at it. The boot may be allowing water onto the plunger and again, may be rusting where it is joined to the pedal. Check for bushings and grease it if you can.

Beyond that, we're into the Master Cylinder, and it may need replacement. But I doubt it goes that far. More likely one of the other things I mentioned.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Enrico Fermi" wrote in news:463f8177$0$4862$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Grease the pedal return spring.

Reply to
Tegger

The master cylinder might be the cause. See Honda Service Bullitin

02-002.
Reply to
Skate

Skate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Now why didn't I think to check the TSBs?

Excerpts from that TSB:

PROBABLE CAUSE The clutch master cylinder spring is rubbing on the outer diameter of the piston when the pedal is pressed, or the master cylinder quick connect is moving.

CORRECTIVE ACTION Replace the master cylinder, and apply a thin film of silicone grease to the clutch line fitting.

Reply to
Tegger