67 mustang coupe clutch pedal on floor

clutch pedal on floor three speed sunk to floor, linkage looks ok all way to tranny/ does this sound like throw out bearing. thanks for any info!

Reply to
john711111

Is this a car you drive? Did it just happen? Did it get that way slowly, or all at once? Is it a stock clutch assembly? Did you just come across the car and never driven it?

Reply to
351CJ
351CJ opined in news:JSoTd.14451$EL5.8077@trnddc05:

linkage "looks" okay?!!!

Just sitting there - or while you move the clutch pedal?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

yes i drive the car on sunny days temperature 72 degrees not a cloud in the sky, slight breeze from the west, no humidity at least according to my exwife. have had it eleven years all orginal, stock with stock clutch. I am second owner.Literally took a left turn going about 15 miles an hour, going from 1st to second, pedal dropped to floor, no problems ever before. Linkage looked good absoultley no resistance on pedal, have to pull off floor to orginal position, step on it goes straight to floor no resistance. thanks for your help and any info you may have.

Reply to
john711111

can reach into engine bay and move by hand/ clutch pedl does nothing but sink to floor when pushed,has no effect on linkage, thanks for your help

Reply to
john711111

If the rod from the Z bar between the frame rail and engine is there, then a return spring is broken. There are two, a big heavy one under the dash and a lighter duty one under the hood from the Z bar to the firewall.

Reply to
Brent P

ANother issue may be that the rod has pushed through the hole on the arm/fork that works the clutch. Had this happen on my mav. I used a nut and washer on the pointed end of the rod to distribute the force more evenly.

Reply to
Brent P

thanks for the two post/replys/is the arm fork external or are you talkng about under the clutch and flywheel cover. in other words if not return spring will i have to pull tranny and remove flywheel cover to get to. thanks so much for your fast reply.

Reply to
john711111

The clutch pedal assembly pivots a bar that is mounted to the frame rail and engine block. This in turn pushes a rod towards the rear (this is where the clutch adjustment is). That rod goes into the arm of the clutch fork, pushing on it. There is a rubber boot over the arm. That's it.

Clutch fork can be seen here:

feature at the end of the arm portion is where the rod goes. The rod is shown here as teh clutch adjusting rod.
I've had the clutch pedal go to the floor because the cotter pin broke and the adjusting rod fell out and because of a broken return spring under the hood. In the later case, it just didn't come back up as far.

After I made my way back to where the adjustment rod fell out and found it, I cobbled it to get home and since then have had a wire to tether it to the car. If the pin ever fails again, it will dangle.

Reply to
Brent P

thanks so much for the help, going home now to work on it,thanks to everyone for the followups. Pony up dudes!

Reply to
john711111

My money is on the missing pushrod ("adjusting rod") from the bottom of the Z-bar to the clutch fork. They're held on with a hairpin and the hairpin can pop out under lateral pressure. The pushrods cost about $20, and you'll also need the wavy washer and the hairpin.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Brent P opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

????

Well, this has been a nice conversation....

The pedal has no effect on the linkage!!

so the push rod pivot ball has gone through the fork?

Actually it doesnt matter, it will all come to him

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

`update- after 2 shots of tequila and a slim jim/ started on car/ thanks to tetraethylead for great link for parts diagram(see above post)/ first problem was spring/ not under dash spring ( I had replaced that entire assembly with brake pedal years ago)or spring from z/bar to arm fork but from firewall to top of linkage(you say tomato I say linkage crusty) under master cylndier. the push rod was in place, but liitle effect on arm fork when pushed, kept pushing on arm fork by hand, almost like jammed, then it all seemd to jump into place and push rod seemed to have effect. Gonna test drive this weekend, still flushing cooling system afte busted hose, which triggered all of this. thanks to all for the help

Be like the Hard Rock; Love all Serve All The Internet- Power thru People

Reply to
john711111

In effect, yes, that's what happened on my car. Not to the point the pedal went to the floor, only that there was a ton of free play.

My guess is the rod just fell out entirely.

Reply to
Brent P