dirty break fluid

I think my local dealer service department has just raised their dishonesty level.
Took in 2007 Accord for a minor service at 41k miles, they called and
said (a) front brakes need replacing for first time, (b) disks needed turning, (c) brake fluid was dirty and needed replacing.
(a) seems possible (b) was probably not true (c) does this one even make sense?
Thanks.
J.
ps - way overpriced on all above services, but I knew that and paid for convenience, but if (c) is bogus, I'm not going back.
JRStern wrote:

    The front brakes take the brunt of the weight of the vehicle when stopping, so it's not surprising to see them needing to be replaced. Depending on an individual's driving habits it's not uncommon to see replacement needed before that little bit of mileage you have on your vehicle is required.
    It's interesting that they suggested turning the rotors as they usually prefer to replace the rotors.
    Brake fluid breaks down over time and if you had read your owners manual you would see that it calls for replacing the brake fluid every three years.
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:00:38 -0300, Brian Smith

oh.
(smacks forehead)
y'know, the dealer coulda just said the same thing to me.
this "NO TUNEUPS FOR 100,000 MILES!" stuff confuses the Joe Citizens like myself. I mean, I have glanced at the owners manual, but ... guess I should so so again.
I am planning to trade the car within a few weeks (!), another reason I feel extra special stupid for paying dealer prices to turn rotors and stuff right now, could easily have just passed on it. For sure, if it was going to be much longer, I'd be needing tires, too, even this Joe Citizen can see that.
Thanks.
J.
JRStern wrote:

    LOL! It happens.

If you're planning on trading the car in in a few weeks, why spend anything other than the bare amount necessary? Why pay for what will eventually end up being somebody else's benefit at your cost?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
JRStern wrote:

based on my experience, this is somewhat premature. get a second opinion.
1. fronts typically last 60-80k. and they have wear indicators - you'll hear when they're worn enough to replace. 2. honda disks rarely need turning or replacing before 100k, if ever*. 3. brake fluid needs replacement on a time schedule, not color.
if this were my car, i'd wait.
* here's the scoop on the front brakes: it's common for hondas to have a "disk warping" problem. this is seldom actually the case, it's usually a problem caused by incorrect torque and seating of the wheel. the cure is to put a little antiseize on the face of the disk where the wheel mounts [taking care not to get any on the braking surface], then torque the lug nuts to spec with a two stage process, NOT just hammer the things on with an impact driver as is typically the case.

My 06 Accord coupe (I4) needed new rear pads at 53k. Rotors did not need to be turned. Fronts were only 60% worn. Our 03 Pilot went 75k on front and rear;rotors just fine.

It does indeed.

Honda recommends that their dealers turn the disks any time new pads are installed.
Turning the disks is not /absolutely/ necessary, but it does help tremendously in reducing customer comebacks on account of brake vibration, which is why Honda recommends it.

Yes. Your brake fluid is pretty much due for a change, according to your maintenance schedule. Brake fluid absorbs water and does not last forever. Left in too long, brake fluid forms gums and rust in the hydraulic components of the braking system.
What's the build date of your car? It will be on a plate in the driver's door frame. If the current month is close to three years from the build date, you're due for a fluid change.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I'll be diddled. I thought the dealer was just pushing it.

It's close to three years since I bought it, so I guess it's a little longer since they built it!
Thanks.
I guess outside of charging almost double some other local dealers, this one's honesty, at least - is unchanged!
J.

I would change the pads, leave the rotors alone unless it has grooves or gouges in it. Replace brake fluid as per manual.