Engine light & shorting fan

I have 95 honda civic.
what i want to know is this: is it normal for engine light to stay on if the coolant temperature fan switch is by passed by shorting the fan wire?
Eversince i did that, my engine light has been on. I plugged the fan wire back into the coolant temperature fan switch but the light is still there.
I want to know if the engine light is on because of the by pass or something else.
thanks in advance.
Latitude Wizard wrote:

No, bypassing the switch should not cause check engine light to come on.
There is a service check connector tucked up under the dash next to the glove box, see photo at
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph/Civic/mvc-163s.jpg . Usually the service check connector is hidden up under the dash, in the photo it has been pulled down into view. The service check connector is the one with two wires. If you turn off the ignition, short together the two wires in the service check connector (with a paper clip bent into a U-shape) and then turn on the ignition (but don't start the car), the check engine light will flash out the diagnostic trouble code. Long flashes are the 10's, short flashes are the 1's. Code 42 would be four long flashes followed by 2 short flashes.
Check http://www.iequus.com/assets/manuals/3173_ICCR_E_14JAN03.pdf (link found at http://tegger.com ) for more detail.
A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at: