Engine light & shorting fan

I have 95 honda civic.

what i want to know is this: is it normal for engine light to stay on if the coolant temperature fan switch is by passed by shorting the fan wire?

Eversince i did that, my engine light has been on. I plugged the fan wire back into the coolant temperature fan switch but the light is still there.

I want to know if the engine light is on because of the by pass or something else.

thanks in advance.

Reply to
Latitude Wizard

No, bypassing the switch should not cause check engine light to come on.

There is a service check connector tucked up under the dash next to the glove box, see photo at

Usually theservice check connector is hidden up under the dash, in the photo it hasbeen pulled down into view. The service check connector is the one withtwo wires. If you turn off the ignition, short together the two wires inthe service check connector (with a paper clip bent into a U-shape) andthen turn on the ignition (but don't start the car), the check enginelight will flash out the diagnostic trouble code. Long flashes are the10's, short flashes are the 1's. Code 42 would be four long flashesfollowed by 2 short flashes. Check
(linkfound at
for more detail.

Reply to
Randolph