Fan/Air/Heat - 2000 Accord EX

Three times in recent weeks, the blower on my 2000 Accord EX (198k miles) has completely stopped working, as if the fuse is blown (never happened before). Upon turning the engine off & restarting, everything works fine.
It does not go out while driving, it just doesn't or does work upon starting the car. Once it goes out, it will not work until the engine is turned off and on again.
Any suggestions as to the possible cause?

The motor may be worn out and/or have high internal-friction.
What happens if you turn the fan switch to OFF? Next time you start the car, make sure the switch is OFF. Then turn the fan on AFTER the engine is started. Can you find any pattern that's tied to /fan/ run-time as opposed to /engine/ run-time?
Replacement motors should be plentiful and cheap at any wrecking yard (now called "Auto Recyclers" in your Yellow Pages).
--
Tegger

Thanks for your comments. I'll see what happens over the next few weeks. Since it happens intermittently, it may take some time to determine any other pattern.
So far, the only (irregular) pattern has been not to start up (occasionally) along with the engine and not run again until the engine is stopped / restarted. Then, it works fine until some future time when the car is restarted. So far, it's always worked fine upon restarting and does not cut out while the engine is on..

I wonder if it's another relay with bad solder joints,like the "main relay" that runs the fuel pump. Is there a relay that runs the blower? Or perhaps it's a bad solder joint on some other item.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
"clamz" wrote in message
Three times in recent weeks, the blower on my 2000 Accord EX (198k miles) has completely stopped working, as if the fuse is blown (never happened before). Upon turning the engine off & restarting, everything works fine. It does not go out while driving, it just doesn't or does work upon starting the car. Once it goes out, it will not work until the engine is turned off and on again.
Any suggestions as to the possible cause?
This may be a problem with the ignition switch. There are dual ignition contacts. One is of course just ignition, a few accessories, and the other happens to be most accessories. This switch has been a problem child on a very big scale. Honda knows about this problem.
Wiggling the switch by turning the engine on and off makes the contacts work for a while. There is a new ignition switch marked as having this problem solved. Make sure you get the newer model switch.
Source of knowledge is that this happened to me.
Michael
"Boomer" wrote in message
[...]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BTW you can test this to be sure it is the ignition switch. When the heater blower stops working, check all your other accessories to see if some of them are not working. If so, it is a no brainer, the ignition switch.
Michael

+1
On 05/28/2011 08:31 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

indeed. take all the extraneous junk off your key ring and make sure the switch is fully returned to the "run" position after starting. no more problems after that.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum