Dealership Necessary For New Timing Belt ?

Hello,

Have a V6 2005 Accord with 110K on it.

So, I guess will need a new Timing Belt and Plugs.

Is this something that should really be done at a Dealership, or can most any "competent" garage handle it ?

Must the Plugs be those very expensive Pt tipped ones ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

A competent garage can handle this. The trick is in finding a competent garage.

Actually, you should be focusing on a competent individual. It doesn't matter where he works; if he's the best at it, make sure he does it.

On the other hand, a competent garage may have an idiot working for them, and botch up the job.

Find the individual. Mine happens to work for a dealership, so I let them broker the deal--as long as I get that guy. If he moves on and is still available to do the work, I'll let him continue to do it--even if it's in his own garage.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

A dealership will do the work with Honda parts. A "garage" will use aftermarket parts.

The Honda dealership will replace a lot more than just the "timing belt" when they "replace the timing belt". What the "garage" replaces will vary from place to place.

You can use whatever plugs you want. It's just a question of how often you want to replace them. It probably only takes one additional plug change to exceed the cost of the platinum plugs.

Reply to
e.z. ryder

Nope.

A "garage" will use the parts it wants, unless you specify factory parts.

A GOOD independent will give you all the packaging from the factory parts, and/or allow you to bring your own parts if it comes to that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The Honda dealership will replace a lot more than the timing belt, including the contents of your wallet--just like any service shop will do if you're not careful.

Remember, the dealerships are independent garages, just like any other garage. They're not Honda.

And they will use aftermarket parts if they want to. They are independents in business to maximize their profit, just like anyone else.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Heh,if the garage was truly competent,they would not have an idiot working for them.... :-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I had a bad ball joint on my 03 Nissan SE-R SpecV and went to two garages,one independent,the other a Firestone dealership. Both quoted replacement of the entire lower control arm (factory recommended)at a cost of $400,and neither would replace just the worn ball joint. I bought a replacement ball joint for $15,and spent 2.5 hours under my car replacing it. It would have taken much less time,but I don't have the means to raise my car high enough to get the ball joint press(borrowed free from Advance Auto Parts,who sold me the ball joint) into position. Murphey's Law... Instead,I had to crack a large nut,remove the control arm,and then remove and replace the ball joint off the car,then reinstall the control arm with a new nut. If one of those garages had taken the job as I wanted it done,it would have taken only half an hour,and made them money,and a happy customer.

The independent was my former "good garage".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hard to believe a repair shop letting you bring your own parts for them to install any more than a restaurant would let you bring your own food for them to cook....

Reply to
Duke Mantee

well, you'd think.

My dealership has an idiot working for them--and they know it and tolerate it. He's not only an idiot, he's a malicious ripoff artist.

So, that's why I say it comes down to the individual, no matter where he works.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I've got an indy up the street from me who does that, no problems.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Same here. I buy my Honda brake pads from HandA and my local guy installs them. No upcharge that I can detect. Last time, turned out that I needed rotors as well and he asked if I wanted to sideline the Odyssey until I could get them in or if I wanted him to buy locally from NAPA or whomever. Opted for the latter due to time, price and shipping costs. Turned out the NAPA rotors, with tax, were cheaper even if the shipping from HandA had been free.

If you have a good garage, they will not NOT balk at using factory OEM parts and a good garage is not going to screw with you by jacking up the price on the parts beyond whatever discount they may receive from NAPA, etc.

If they won't do it, you're dealing with the wrong garage.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

how many more times and in how many other ways are you going to ask this retarded question? just get the freakin' belt done. if you can't or don't want to afford it, sell the car and take the bus.

Reply to
jim beam

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Ditto. they still make money off the labor.

Reply to
Jim Yanik