Headlights

Headlight problem with 05 CRV EX 4WD. Passengers headlight went out,

33k miles. Replaced both lights with Sylvania Silverstart H1 ST bulbs. In two weeks one burned out. Replaced it, and a day later the other burned out. Not sure if the bulbs are not good for this vehicle or perhaps a wiring problem with the CRV.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Reply to
Coger

Been using SilverStars for about two years. Had them in two Buicks and two Chrysler Town & Country's. They do not seem to have much life in any of the cars. Of the four cars, the only one that I THINK has not blown one or two of the bulbs is the 2003 T&C but we've only had that one for a little over one year.

When they work, they're great, when they blow it's real expensive to replace. BTW, whether I touch them or not, the glass is cleaned with alcohol before installation.

I don't know what bulb Honda uses in my 06 Accord EX but I suspect when I need a replacement, I'll hit their parts department. Great lighting on mine regardless of whether I'm using high or low beams. Anyone else notice a significant improvement?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Coger wrote in news:945823 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

What's your voltage measure with the engine running and the lights on? Maybe a bad Voltage regulator?

I've heard Silverstars have short lives,but not that short.

The other poster is right;you have to keep your skin from contacting the glass bulb,the oils burn and cause a hot spot and early failure.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Daniel Stern is widely respected for his knowledge of lighting and has his own lighting consultancy and supply house - see

In the "tech" area of his website he addresses blue bulbs, including the Sylvania Silverstar: "The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is overdriven to get a legal amount of light despite the blue glass."

Michael Pardee

I'll agree wit the short lifespan on these Sylvania SilverStars as others have mentioned.. Put them in my '05 Accord and about 6 months later one blew out. Thought it was a fluke. A few months later, the 2nd one blew! I like the whiter light and don't feel these are as blinding to other drivers as some other lighting out there.

When it blows again I'll think of replacing both with the OEM or something else. Anyone else have any luck with something similar to these Sylvanias?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Just read the Daniel Stern link - excellent information! I'll leave these in a little longer since they're fairly new - then back to the OEM. Just need to wipe any oil from the fingers off before putting them back in..

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

"Dave L" wrote in news:w8udnW7nBoFnwu7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

wiping alone is not going to do it;you need to use alcohol or some other solvent (on the bulb envelope)to remove the skin oils.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns988F71F9C6731jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84:

Even that may not help. I've had bulbs explode on me even after painstaking efforts at cleaning.

The safest thing is to make 100% certain the glass NEVER touches ANYTHING EVER once it's removed from the package.

And in the OP's case I'd have the voltage checked. Are any of the other exterior bulbs burned out? It's commo for the newer alternators to fail into overvoltage, and cook the bulbs.

Reply to
Tegger

Right. I was actually going to wipe them with glass cleaner. I can change the bulbs pretty quick now but it's still a PITA in these newer Accords.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L