Honda Civic 2006 - Emission Malfunction

Hi All...I purchased a new 2006 honda civic sedan and after driving like 50 odd miles the emission malfunction indicator came on and stayed on. I also experienced my vehicle stalling and returned it to the
dealer for repairs....can anybody tell me if this is normal? Can I ask the dealer to give me a brand new piece instead of carrying out repairs on this vehicle?
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

No it's NOT "normal".
As far as you're concerned, most MIL illuminations will be covered under the Federally-mandated 8-year, 80K-mile emissions warranty.
Let the dealer sort this out before you go ballistic on them. Emissions controls are so unbelivably restrictive these days that it doesn't take much to cock them up. And the dealers are the ones that have to handle it for Honda, much to their frustration.
You won't get very far demanding a new car at this point. All you'll do is piss them off and they will be less likely to cooperate with you later. Give them time and keep bringing it back as necessary. Document EVERYTHING, including every word that passes between you and the dealer's employees... just in case you do eventually have to ask for a replacement car.
Ne nice. Don't give them any reason to hate you. They're doing their best and will resent any indication that they're not, just like you would under the same circumstances.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

the 8 80 only applies to catalytic converter and the PCM. everything else is standard warranty.
It could be as simple as a looses gas cap Chip
Add pictures here
âś–

Yep, you're right. The EPA's own Web site, says "specified major emission control components" are warranted for 8/80 after 1995. The others are 2/24, or even less if the manufacturer states that there is a more frequent replacement period.
http://www.epa.gov/obd/warranties.htm
The EPA defines these three parts as "major": * Catalytic converters. * The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU). * The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).
It looks like any related sensors, including the oxygen sensors, are NOT considered "major", so would be 2/24 unless Honda specifies a more frequent replacement interval.
Interestingly, the warranty in ANY case ONLY covers initial replacement, not subsequent replacements.
I'm going to add this site and info to the FAQ.

Would a loose gas cap ALWAYS set a P1456, or would there be times it would set a different code?
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
Probably some loose hose or wire under the hood. Those things happen.

Add pictures here
âś–

No, you can't, at least not yet. You have to realize that new cars are NOT guaranteed to be trouble free, and that's why there's a Warranty, and dealers to fix the problems.
Buyer's have occasionally menaged to get new cars, but there has to be a major manufacturing fault that cannot be resolved any other way. For example, GMH (Australia) some 18 years ago had a set of about 5 Commodores that had a portion of the rear cabin structure not welded across a 20" seam, due to a welding robot glitch. These could have been welded by hand, but GMH pulled all the cars and replaced them.
Other manufacturers (including Honda) have replaced complete engines and/or transmissions when necessary.
Stewart DIBBS
Add pictures here
âś–
Chrysler replaced a bunch of Plymouth Prowlers when they discovered a supplier had not heated treated some suspension components properly. They required significant disassembly.

Add pictures here
âś–