Honda Odyssey 2002 Transmission Problems

My transmission is slipping badly. Heavy bump 1st to 2nd, and slip and rev up before shifting 2nd to 3rd.
My mileage is 41k, and the vehicle has been driven very gently since it
was new. Anyone experience this problem? It will obviously need a new transmission, been this route with a previous Ford van.
Wondering if anyone got any help from Honda since this is just 6k out of warrantee? A repair shop in my office complex says many transmissions are going bad on this model. He said that Honda.has extended the warrantee on the Odyssey gave me an 800 number to call. The person I spoke to said no there is no extension, take it up with the dealer.
Any input appreciated.
Greg Huntington Beach, CA

Honda has extended the warranty to eight years on this transmission. You describe the very symptoms that caused Honda to extend the warranty.
I am very surprised that the dealer and Honda are being so recalcitrant. It has been my experience that cars affected are being repaired without question.
Has the transmission been replaced already? Have you put aftermarket fluids in it?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Not on the 02 models. That was for the 99-01 models.
http://www.hondacars.com and head to Honda OwnerLink. Register there, put in your VIN, and see what it says about recalls.

TAKE IT UP WITH THE DEALER. And don't take no for an answer.
Honda put out a $350 million recall on these transmissions. Did you get a notice for that?
If the dealer balks, find another one. Keep asking to go a level higher. Ask to talk to the Honda zone rep.
Honda will replace this transmission.

Oh, and head over to http://www.odyclub.com for all the transmission talk you can stand.
I wonder if part of the problem is with Honda's use of the already marginal Accord transmission in the bigger heavier van which van is capable of carrying a huge load.
John
I just experienced the "D" light flashing, and this is an indication of a transmission problem.. the dealer did not think so, but in scanning the OBDII codes, there is a P1740 code set, the 4th pressure switch in the transmission has a problem.. or something like this.. my dealer told me the light flashed because it was not all the way in gear!... hello...
sc